 Town / 2432
Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:28:01 GMT

In lugnet.town, Kevin Wilson writes:

* dictatorial decision by to competition organiser

The is a recipe for argument, one person making a decision. I wouldn't run a
contest at all if I thought I was going to have to judge it!

Just one thought on this...  I thought that you were going to decide the
catagories like "Best use of Color" and "Best Engineering".  I think that
having included these in the voting is one reason that the results page takes
so long to load.  I agree the other catagories should be determined by vote but
thest catagories could, if you chose, be determined by the contest organizer.

* voting only by the participants - and never for one of
  your own models
* a rating system open to anybody
* guiding voting/rating followed by a dictatorial
  decision by to competition organiser

Lots of hand-work with this many people. I know Todd did it for the Classic
Space contest, but he was dealing with 67 entries, 26 people entered, and
therefore 26 people voting (by my quick count). Here we have 263 entries and
over 150 people entered. I physically can't do that much
computer-messing-around, I started out with the intention of using a voting
engine so that I wouldn't have to deal with doing it by hand.

This is going to come up over and over again. What we need is a
voting/rating system built into LUGNET :-)  Todd, any chance of adapting the
message or set-rating systems for this kind of use?

Now thats a pretty good idea.  I don't know how much work it would be but it
would be a good idea if it isn't to much work.  Plus it would make it easier to
minimize ballot stuffing.

Eric Kingsley