 Town / 2440
Re: contest voting mechanism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:27:39 GMT

In the last episode I wrote:
-Take votes using a web form
-Email an authentication notice to an email address supplied by the voter
-Voter clicks on a link to authenticate his votes (i.e. authenticate his email
address)
-Vote results page is *much* less than 805 meg :-)
-Vote results are published with list of voters' email domains (e.g.
hotmail.com, aol.com, msu.edu - not full email addresses) and possibly IP
addresses

I could also use cookies to make sure that each computer was used for voting
just once. There are ways to cheat this, too, and it may prevent a couple
legitimate votes (e.g. family votes), but no system is perfect. This would
prevent an AOL user from voting from all 5 screen names, for example.

Or I could just mention in the vote results when multiple votes were cast from
the same machine. This would allow the practice, but large-scale abuse would be
evident.

Amy