 Town / 2172
Re: town wishlist 2001 (2002???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:14:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

This is going to be long...

Emergency Services:
I would like to see a full compliment of emergency services vehicles and
buildings; fire station, hospital and police station.  The buildings
shouldn't be as grandiose as the most recent monster police stations (6332),
which are too large and make the cost to potential purchasers far too high.
Within each range there should be really small sets (e.g. small police
motorbike) to enable people to start somewhere with a subtheme without
massive outlay.  Then some sort of intermediate sets such as a police jail
van and then a slightly larger set such as a road-block complete with
stinger mats.

Utilities:
A town needs its utilities and so needs things like water vans, telco vans
(complete with phonebox to repair), electricity vans, etc.

Transport Services:
Bus!  I think a six-wide bus would be great with a bus shelter that has
adverts.  This set could be really detailed with things such as a timetable
on the stop pole, adverts on the side of the shelter and bus, and a wee
bus-stop sign.  Make it a double-decker for maximum playability.

Houses:
There should be a variety of houses available to accommodate a variety of
budgets; from the tiny little cottage (something like 6374) and then a
slightly bigger house (6372) and then a really big detailed house like that
big Paradisa thing, complete with swimming pool and other stuff (someone
want to flesh this one out?).  Another cool item would be a miniature block
of flats complete with working (i.e. hand-cranked; don't want a 'batteries
not included/ are duff' situation) lift to take the peeps from the entrance
foyer (revolving door anybody?) to their flats.  To keep it reasonable,
there would only actually be three floors, each containing one flat, but it
would have to have some groovy architectural features such as bay windows to
make it look good and take town away from the blandness-fest that many town
buildings have been.

Commerce:
Lots of shop type buildings.  These could all be quite small things like a
grocers, a general store, motor-components supply, etc.  These small sets
would perhaps come with their own delivery van to make it more interesting.
Perhaps a bigger set would be a supermarket with an articulated lorry for
delivery.  I can see some supermarkets being interested in a tie-in with
this.  Naturally the ubiquitous petrol station would be required.

Industrial:
Funny, but there never appears to be any industry components to town.  How
about a warehouse with a forklift and lorry with crates?  Or a small
manufacturing plant?  These could perhaps tie in with delivering to the
shops.

Vehicles:
Lots of little cars of different types would be great, because then people
would be able to buy lots of little sets at a little cost each time rather
than one massive huge thing.  Vehicles must include the return of the
motorbike!  How about commercial sponsorships of vehicles, say a
'Sainsbury's' artic, or a 'Blue Circle' cement lorry?

I do however think that boats and planes should be removed, simply because
they never look right and always look a wonky scale compared to everything
else.

Comments much appreciated!

Nicholas Allan

"ben medinets" <bmedinets@aol.com> wrote in message
In my previous post, I displayed my contempt for The Lego Group for not
putting out any new Town sets (1st time in over 20 years for them - 1st
town sets came out officially in 1979!!)
I am still very upset at them for not putting out any new sets, but the
real reason for posting is that I want to ask you guys out there at what
should be included in the new town line if they put it out....
I like the modularity of the soccor sets, and would probably want to
go along that route, some previous posters (in LUGNET News: Castle)
wanted to "merge" town and castle and introduce a "midieval town
setting"
I like both, but I like town series better, and do not like this idea
too much....again I ask you to share some of your ideas to share with
fellow COT's (Collectors of Town).