 Technic / Bionicle / 2238
Re: New MoCs - Was:Re: Toa Nuva Posters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 01:29:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Todd Kubo wrote:
   I have’t gotten Proto Pakari yet. Got many multiples of the others already. Seems to be the hard one to get.

Probably not. I’ve long heard rumors about what masks were shorted in the mask packs, and more often than not, any mask that people claimed was HTF was one that I had a bunch of, while any mask that people claimed was really common was something I only had one or two of. The only HTF claims that I can agree with is that the Euro misprints (well, except the black and red Ruru, which were both reissued) are all quite rare, the transparent Kaukau are typically a bit more difficult to find than any of the opaque masks in the same rarity set, and the primaries (ie, any mask packed with a Toa, Turaga, or Toa Nuva) should have been shorted in the mask packs. I haven’t even seen any solid evidence that the Infected Hau was any less common in the 8525 Kanohi Pack than any other mask. (I actually pulled 9 out of about 150 packs, and equal rarity says I should have only pulled 4)

   There was one made by a fan - MoC - that looked pretty good. Don’t know what happend to it.

I think I might have heard about that one, though quite a bit later than I heard about the rumored “official” one.

   Well, I was saying the Heads of the Kraata look like Rahkshi Kanohi, so the shapes could mirror off the patterns on the slugs. I’m going to see if I can cast something like them.

You mean make some Kanohi based on the Kraata?

   Oh BTW. I posted to brickshelf my MoC Painted Kanohi Nuva. Nothing outstanding, the Gold Hau Nuva, and the infected line. As I mentioned my basecoat was a bit too dark. Oh Well. I’ll re-do once I have more dupes.

The photography could be better (there’s a lot of features that are obscured by shadows or glare, especially on the IMN), but I’ve got a general idea of what you did. I can’t really see the basecoat well enough to comment on it, but the “rust” looks too beige to be rust, though the black and beige mottling reminds me a bit of some (I believe) mid-1900’s furniture that my mom had floating around when I was a kid. From what I can see, I think you did a much better job of painting the rust pattern than I did with my IMN, but it still doesn’t quite match the style of the official Infected Hau (if indeed that was your intent). Now, the gold Hau Nuva looks rather impressive. It looks like it could have been made from real gold, but with a surface that might have been abraded so it wouldn’t be super glossy. I was given the rare opportunity to borrow a real solid gold Hau once, and truthfully, it was covered in lots of minute scratches that really soured the look of the piece up close, and something like a sand textured surface would have done a lot to rectify that problem (not to mention making it much easier to photograph).

   Also, tell me what you think of this mask...

I think the mouth area came from a Miru Nuva, and the rest of it probably came from at least three other sources, but I don’t recognize any other aspects of the design. I’m also guessing that this is not the master, but rather some sort of casting. It looks quite skull-like, though, and the bits of circuitry on either side of the mouth do a good job of suggesting a possible techno-organic origin. Now, are the red eyes a casting from an original eye-piece, or did you just use paint or marker to recolor an existing eye-piece?