 Technic / 9791
Re: Demag cc12600 Crawler Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:19:37 GMT

It really looks terrific! It's definately a competitor of Ron Jansen:

Ron hasn't built boom sections yet because of lack of time. It progresses
very slowly.

Is Chris' crane built on scale? What kind of information do you use (pics,
diagrams etc.)? I know it's hard to find scaled drawings of it.
And how do you build the crawler tracks? Ron used the three studs wide
technic chain links (two rows) and put some plates on it to make the tracks
wider and give it a massive look. His undercarriage is very, very heavy!!
(scale 1:24)

Soon I will start building a huge LEGO crane myself (Sennebogen 5500HDSL,
scale 1:13) but I will use other pieces for the crawler tracks. What I will
use? You will see!
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legotrucks/Projects/proj_5500hdsl_01.jpg

Indead the boom has to be very light but strong as you can read in some of
the replies. But it's very difficult to construct. Chris' design is too
heavy and the bracing is not quite correct, but as Chris wrote he will
change it. Beats design for his LR11200 is light, but is it strong? You'd
better can't lift a heavy load, but the crane is strong enough to raise to
boom. Thomas' design is good, but then you need a lot of technic lifarms
($$$$$$$$$).

I know a guy who's into cranes a well, but it's a very strange person. He
claimed building the strongest LEGO crane (as well as the boom as the
lifting capacity).
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legotrucks/GVR-2001/gvr2001-06.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legotrucks/GVR-2001/gvr2001-07.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wandrer/legoworld2002/technic/crane.jpg

OK, I have to admit, his design is strong but it's far toooooo heavy!! He
needed two hours to raise to boom I guess :-) And I don't like the color
sheme ...

Anyway, building cranes is fun. It's challanging, difficult, huge. There are
so many cranes. I know it's very interesting to build world's biggest, but I
stay with my 180 tons Sennebogen. Creating a fully operational crane I my
aim (self supporting from fully stripping to fully operational).

Well Chris, success with your crane and let us know how it progresses!

Dennis Bosman

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
I was just surfin' through Brickshelf and came across Chris Davis' Demag
CC12600 model:

(CAD rederings of CC12600)

(Actual construction- turntable and part of crawler base)

Anyone else seen this? Looks like a monster!

My only advice would be to change the boom construction, or provide more
bracing. It will not be strong in the lateral direction, and will flop over
sideways during a heavy lift. Something like this is good:
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/msg50/truss.jpg

-TJ