 Technic / 9795
Re: Demag cc12600 Crawler Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:38:44 GMT

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003, Dennis Bosman wrote:

Is Chris' crane built on scale? What kind of information do you use (pics,
diagrams etc.)? I know it's hard to find scaled drawings of it.
And how do you build the crawler tracks? Ron used the three studs wide
technic chain links (two rows) and put some plates on it to make the tracks
wider and give it a massive look. His undercarriage is very, very heavy!!
(scale 1:24)

For scaling: All the pictures I could find on the web, and the spec doc
from Demag's website. The Demag doc has enough dimensions to make good
'estimates'

I'm mostly on scale, but the scale varies slightly (approx 1:35,
somethings up to 1:39)

The only exceptions to this is the turntable and the width of the tracks:
I'm using three rows of tread links, connected by a 1x10 plate, and then 2
1x6 plates on top of that.

Eventually (read: when i have enough beams and such), I'd like to build a
full boom and flyjib, should be about 23feet tall (114m boom + 114m
flyjib)

I may need to move first, since my apartment might be too small :)

Anyway, building cranes is fun. It's challanging, difficult, huge. There are
so many cranes. I know it's very interesting to build world's biggest, but I
stay with my 180 tons Sennebogen. Creating a fully operational crane I my
aim (self supporting from fully stripping to fully operational).

Exactly.  I decided to build this because I came across Thomas' crane,
which is similar to a 12600, so I figured I'd try and get a little closer.

I picked 1:35 because it seemed like a nice ratio. (And it makes a minifig
scale to about  5'5"), and going to a more standard ration like 1:24 or
1:13 is way too big (but, that didn't stop other people)

Although a 1:24 model that could lift the scaled mass would be very cool.
(that would be about 100kg)

Well Chris, success with your crane and let us know how it progresses!

And the same to you.  It will be interesting to see you model when it gets
finished.  Huge will hardly describe it.