 Technic / 7671
Re: Large arch bridge geometry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Adrian Egli writes:
Pedro,

John's advise is very good.  Experiment!  Sure, you might make something
that at first you might not like but examine what you've made and ask
yourself  "How can I change it?"  Then again, you'll make something you'll
love one moment, come up with a better idea, and junk what you once loved
(its happened to me MANY times!)

Like I said in a different message, I can't make large scale experimentation
in the present (not enough parts). I must therefore restrict to details, and
that is why the theoretical approach is so important to me.

When I constructed my first suspension bridge from Technic (sorry, no pics
on brickshelf), in West elevation view (seeing its span) it looked OK.  But
in North elevation view, I thought it was junk.  So I just tinkered around
with small Technic parts like triangles, lever arms, etc., and pulled off my
Trademark Bridge.
(Like I said, at first I loved it but now I want to build a better version!)

That is partially the explanation for the above; most of the parts I
currenty have are used up in a drawbridge, which was modified numerous times
until it reached the current status of "operational". It's far from pretty,
but it works great :-) The downside is *it has more than twice the pieces
originally planned*...

Geometric triangles (3-4-5, 5-12-13, 7-24-25, 9-40-41, 11-60-61, just to
name a few) only go so far.  Apply that LEGO builder instinct of yours and
you'll come out better!

The thing with those angles is the difficulty to use them in a design. At
first I was considering using only geometric triangles, then I realised it
would take a lot more effort than that.
I did try to make a sketch of possible arches recurring to LEGO beam
measurements (15, 11, 9 and less holes), but it was too time consuming to be
an effective method. Then I tried to use some LEGO beams to test possible
dispositions, and it also was a bad method when used alone...

This is why I came up with the idea of a theoretical approach. It too, when
used alone, will not be of great use, but at least I'll be losing less time
to dumb errors :-)

Thanks for the help,

Pedro