 Technic / 7666
Re: Large arch bridge geometry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 03:32:02 GMT

Pedro,

John's advise is very good.  Experiment!  Sure, you might make something
that at first you might not like but examine what you've made and ask
yourself  "How can I change it?"  Then again, you'll make something you'll
love one moment, come up with a better idea, and junk what you once loved
(its happened to me MANY times!)

When I constructed my first suspension bridge from Technic (sorry, no pics
on brickshelf), in West elevation view (seeing its span) it looked OK.  But
in North elevation view, I thought it was junk.  So I just tinkered around
with small Technic parts like triangles, lever arms, etc., and pulled off my
Trademark Bridge.
(Like I said, at first I loved it but now I want to build a better version!)

Geometric triangles (3-4-5, 5-12-13, 7-24-25, 9-40-41, 11-60-61, just to
name a few) only go so far.  Apply that LEGO builder instinct of yours and
you'll come out better!

Adrian Egli
SCLTC's bridge builder

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:GypCvr.MqI@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

I am attempting to design a large ached bridge with technic parts, and • this
means I'll need plenty of reading on the subject of beam-geometry. Can • any
of you guys help me out in my research?

Pedro-

This may or may not be any help, but when I built my 4' swing bridge
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6920) I had never built a
technic bridge before.  All I did was employ a little trial and error.

So I guess my comment would be that a prior command of beam-geometry isn't
really necessary-- it *is* possible to figure it out the old fashioned • way-- on
the fly:-)

Good luck!

-John