 Technic / 7663
Re: Large arch bridge geometry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 00:49:05 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

I am attempting to design a large ached bridge with technic parts, and this
means I'll need plenty of reading on the subject of beam-geometry. Can any
of you guys help me out in my research?
The thing that is giving me the biggest headache so far is the relation
between angles possible with LEGO beams, the only sure stuff I know is the
famous 3-4-5 triangle and that is not much help for this :-(
My ultimate purpose is to design in LEGO something that ressembles either
one of the two mettalic bridges in the following link:

Pedro,

I found it easier to think in terms of beam length, rather than angles. If
you have a good profile view of the bridge, one way is to overlay it with
graph paper (or just use a ruler) to measure the beam lengths, then match
them as closely as you can with LEGO. This will probably require some trial
& error to get it looking right.

The hardest part is getting the truss structure as thin as possible. One of
the best resources for that is TJ Avery's http://www.texbrick.com/ - look
under his ideas section.

You might also want to check out my bridge
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3057 8?) but there's not
much technical info there 8?(

ROSCO