 Technic / 7664
Re: Large arch bridge geometry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 01:40:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

I am attempting to design a large ached bridge with technic parts, and this
means I'll need plenty of reading on the subject of beam-geometry. Can any
of you guys help me out in my research?

ROSCO is right, you should think in terms of beam lengths. Your thought
process should be similar to how it's actually built. In other words, you
build your beams in certain lengths first and then put them together to form
the bridge. The angles they form are a function of the lengths.

I've developed two spreadsheets to help design my bridges. You can find them
here:
http://www.texbrick.com/files/

The user inputs the member lengths, and then the spreadsheet calculates the
angles. The bridge is displayed graphically so you can see what you're
building. You start with the center of the bridge and work your way to the
right support (assumes your bridge is symmetric about the center).

As you work your way from the center, you input each member length and then
see the results graphically. The spreadsheet also displays the angles the
members make with respect to horizontal or vertical (so you can try to get a
level memeber, it needed).

I hope this helps.

-TJ