 Technic / 7670
Re: Large arch bridge geometry - help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:26:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.technic, Pedro Silva writes:
Hi all,

I am attempting to design a large ached bridge with technic parts, and this
means I'll need plenty of reading on the subject of beam-geometry. Can any
of you guys help me out in my research?

Pedro-

This may or may not be any help, but when I built my 4' swing bridge
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6920) I had never built a
technic bridge before.  All I did was employ a little trial and error.

So I guess my comment would be that a prior command of beam-geometry isn't
really necessary-- it *is* possible to figure it out the old fashioned way-- on
the fly:-)

You are absolutely right - LEGO is about trial and error. And I will use the
method, but on a limited basis (to test triangles' sequences, for instance).
The reason is I currently own very few technic parts, and I'll only buy the
rest *after* I finish a good design. Like in real life bridge-building, I
cannot afford to make mistakes!  :-)

Good luck!

Thanks - I'll need it!

Pedro