 Technic / 7022
Re: Truss Joint Construction Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:15:32 GMT

That was just an idea that struck my head, I dont have any plans to build a
brigde, but I want to build a crane someday...

"Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Jan-Tore Skålvik writes:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=13558¨¨

check this out!
I think this might help you alittlebit!
regards
jt

Thanks JT!

You can make things a little easier by not connecting all the member ends • at
one common point (like you did with the diagonal connection). Also, take a
look at Ross' truss bridge:
http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/archbr

The joints don't meet at a common point, or rather, you don't have perfect
triangles. This weakens the structure as you now have a lot of bending
moment in your members. However, considering Lego applications, this
construction is relatively strong and should be adequate.

For simple truss designs, where the top and bottom chords are parallel,
construction is fairly simple:
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/truss/truss_ideas.html

My white bridge has joints where up to 5 different members at different
angles are joined together. This makes for a very difficult joint.

One other note about "non-common center" joints, it makes any sort of
calculation more difficult. For my white bridge, I calculated the geometry
(and sized the members) prior to construction. The calculation was simple
because the whole thing was just a series of triangles. If you're going to
work with 4-sided elements, then it's a little more complicated.

TJ