 Technic / 7019
Re: Truss Joint Construction Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:58:16 GMT

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:27:34 GMT, "Thomas Avery"
<thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote:

Hi All!

I hope I can distract everyone from the Bionicle vs. Technic discussions and
focus on something more constructive for a moment.

I think I'm going to stop posting soon, two flame-wars originating
from my posts *sigh*

Better learn something about action and reaction soon...

I built a little bridge recently:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/bridge_w1.jpg
(more details will follow later, after I put together a webpage)

Cool.

I'm not satisfied with the joints, or the point of connection for the members:
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/joint.jpg

I have used a similar method before, as you can see in another close up:
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/bridge_arch/joint.jpg

I'd prefer a different method, one that was less eccentric. Ideally, you
want all the members to lie in the same plane, but this is very difficult to
do with Lego. I haven't put my mind to it yet, but I'm sure there's a better
way of making a truss joint. At the very least, I'm sure you could reduce
the joint "thickness" by half (by using liftarms, or the like).

What do you think?

Could you use the medium pulley and half beams in any way? Something
like this:

But w/o the lock function... This could give a two studs wide
connection type if you skip the 1 x 3 liftarms and use liftarms in
stead of the 4273 Technic Connector Toggle Joints.

You could also use two medium pulley wheels in the center and embrace
them with liftarms, should prove more easy to attach them to the beams
that way. Should a construct and photo this thought or do you follow?
I'm not sure I understand myself :)

One problem could be rotation of the axle with the pulley wheels on,
but that should not be to hard to fix...
/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/