 Technic / 6975
Re: Erroded axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:29:08 GMT

"Robert Seifert" <seifrob@hotmail.com> writes:

I like treaded vehicles so i built very simple one using rubber
treads from RIS 1.5 set. ( actually it was "tank" very similar to
"dozer" from RIS 1.0, but without RCX) After playing with it (
included cross-room rally ;-) ) i removed treads to store them
separately and i saw front axle was erroded.  Distinct, maybe 0.5 mm
deep "canyon" on axle. It's terrible! Is there any way how to prevent
from this? Has anyone similar experience? Does anybody know "way
out"?

It is pretty normal to experience wear in LEGO axles and bushings and so
on.  In my experince, this is happens when you have a fast turning axle
which runs for an extended period of time, especially when there is some
load on the axle.

I have noticed this eroding effect not on the axles themselves, but
rather as a thin layer of dust on the nearby bricks.  The dust comes
from the axles and gears and the technic bricks through which the axles
run.

I don't think there is any way to avoid this problem.  Perhaps there
exist some kind of synthetic grease, which can be used to reduce the
friction?  If so, this could be the solution to your problem.  But keep
in mind that the grease will be quite messy, and you need to make sure
that it is not a kind of grease which ruins the ABS material out of
which LEGO bricks are made.  Most kinds of grease are probably
incopatible with plastic materials.

Fredrik