 Technic / 6972
6971  |  6973
Subject:
Erroded axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:57:45 GMT

Hallo to everyone

first, sorry to all language purists, it's not my native language.

I like treaded vehicles so i built very simple one using rubber treads from
RIS 1.5 set. ( actually it was "tank" very similar to "dozer" from RIS 1.0, but
without RCX) After playing with it ( included cross-room rally ;-) ) i removed
treads to store them separately and i saw front axle was erroded.
Distinct, maybe 0.5 mm deep "canyon" on axle. It's terrible! Is there any way
how to prevent from this? Has anyone similar experience? Does anybody know "way
out"? Thanks in advance

                          Robert

P.S. Why I keep treads separated from models
- as you know, this rubber treads are not perfectly elastic, they "remember"
their shape and then you (= LEGO 9V motor) have to apply bigger force to change
that shape. This leads to irregularities in vehicle motion. To prevent from
that I keep my treads putted on that big wheels that came with RIS when unused.
They form circle-like shape and my tank can move smother. As side effect i
invented REALLY BIG wheel looking much better than two big wheels simply putted
one beside each other. Sorry, no picture but i am sure you can imagine it.

If you can't:  ;-)

                     I - I
big wheel->   I - I  <- big wheel
                     I - I