 Technic / 7038
Re: Erroded axles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:15:12 GMT

"Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Jack Gregory writes:
I read this in your [fantastic, best LEGO robot book ever] book as well, • but
don't understand it.  The snapping action of the links doesn't open in • the
direction they would be loaded in use, so how do they come apart?  Did • you
try them in both directions?

The come apart when side-loaded, or when they snag on something (like
carpet). They also can come apart when put into too much tension.

Right, I came to the same conclusion. They're good enough (except for the
null grip) if used on a smooth surface and with not too much tension. When
for any reason the links are no more exactly aligned, the force required to
take them apart drops down to a very low level, and they do come apart.
I didn't find any relevant difference in the two directions (and I didn't
expect to).

Mario