 Technic / 6144
Re: Crawler Crane MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:48:35 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Beat Felber writes:
Hello Crane fans

As Dennis Bosman already announced in his "Modelteam Newsletter" of November
15, I built a model of a crawler crane. It is a Liebherr LR 11200, the
biggest machine of this type, Liebherr builds.
In reality, there are only two of this crane type which belong to a Japanese
contractor. The color scheme this contractor uses is not quite the one I
built into my model. I had to use red and black as well as yellow parts,
because I don't have enough of the other ones.
Pictures of my model can be seen at:

Some data:
- Main boom height 2.15 m
- Derrick boom height 1.6 m
- 5 winches with an old 9V motor each
- revolution of upper structure with two geared 9V motors
- left and right crawler independently driven by one old 9V motor each

I never tested out the max load it can withstand. I only tested it up to 2
kg. Then the Derrick boom showed it's insufficient construction and nearly
collapsed.

This crane is the first version. I got some blueprints from Liebherr and
therefore are able now to build this model more accurate, than it is in it's
actual state. You will read about it when the second version is done. (This
will last a bit, I think).
Pictures of the first version I will add to my site in the next few weeks.

Greetings from Switzerland

Beat

Excellent work, Beat. Yet again, you've impressed us with another great model.

Your boom construction is quite unique. Thanks for the close-up pictures,
I'm able to see how you built it now.
Putting your beams upside down and using 1x plates for the lattice work
seems to make a nice looking boom. And I'm sure it's much lighter than using
Technic beams for the diagonals.

I see studs on the sides of the crawler track frames. Did you plate over
bricks, or did you use the plates themselves as the main structural member?
If properly stiffened and supported, plates can be used to make very strong
beams.

How did you make your turntable? I don't see any rollers, as you've used in
the past. Are the rollers hidden, or did you use a plate-on-tile sliding
turntable?

For those of you interested in seeing the real thing, check out Sakaki's
page of Liebherr 11200 pictures:
http://www.nn.iij4u.or.jp/~masa-s/crane-new/org-eng.htm

I can honestly say that I never get tired of Lego cranes. There's been a
whole lot of them lately and I'm quite excited about it. All the models have
been outstanding and quite inspiring. I guess I'll have to build another one!

Keep up the great work, Beat. Let us know when you update your website with
more pictures and text on your new model.

TJ