 Model Team / 414
Re: Crawler Crane MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:11:44 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Thomas Avery writes:
I see studs on the sides of the crawler track frames. Did you plate over
bricks, or did you use the plates themselves as the main structural member?
If properly stiffened and supported, plates can be used to make very strong
beams.
The plates are the main member. You're right, it is a really strong
construction. There are several crossmembers between the two parts of the
track frame. One of them is the motor itself, and the other ones are also
the housing of the geartrain. The whole trackframe can be divided into two
halfes to make transport easier. You can see the two bolts for this function
in the middle of the frame.
How did you make your turntable? I don't see any rollers, as you've used in
the past. Are the rollers hidden, or did you use a plate-on-tile sliding
turntable?
I made a plate-on-tile sliding turntable. For a roller construction, the
whole thing is a bit too small. You have to know that it (the turntable)
measures only 14 studs in diameter.
You will see more pics as soon as I disassemble the crane into the different
modules.
I can honestly say that I never get tired of Lego cranes. There's been a
whole lot of them lately and I'm quite excited about it. All the models have
been outstanding and quite inspiring. I guess I'll have to build another one!
It's the same for me. Cranes are always fascinating.
So this is not my last crane model.

Hope my answers help you.

Greetings

Beat