 Model Team / 421
Re: Crawler Crane MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 23:16:41 GMT

Hi Beat,

As I've already said to you in my e-mail your crane is fantastic. Well
detailed, my compliments! You did a good job by making such a huge crane!

Are the 9V motors strong enough? I red you use two 9V motors for the
revolution of the superstructure. Does is shock? Former I had some problems
with that and actually still have with my CX700 Hitachi. But that's due to
the top heavy leader of this machine. My LG1550 did very well, but the drums
weren't fine to me.
I saw on Brickshelf you use those 40z gears for the drums. If you hold the
ropes tight, don't you have problems yours large gears are moving to the
side? Esspecially when you put a heavy lift in the hook. But it looks very
good, five drums, that's a lot!

You boom seams to be very light. How much time do you need to build the
crane up? Esspecially the ropes needs much attention I guess ... (I speak
from experience) I think Thomas has this problem as well ...

I hope to see this masterpiece once in real life!

Dennis

In lugnet.modelteam, Beat Felber writes:
Hello Crane fans

As Dennis Bosman already announced in his "Modelteam Newsletter" of November
15, I built a model of a crawler crane. It is a Liebherr LR 11200, the
biggest machine of this type, Liebherr builds.
In reality, there are only two of this crane type which belong to a Japanese
contractor. The color scheme this contractor uses is not quite the one I
built into my model. I had to use red and black as well as yellow parts,
because I don't have enough of the other ones.
Pictures of my model can be seen at:

Some data:
- Main boom height 2.15 m
- Derrick boom height 1.6 m
- 5 winches with an old 9V motor each
- revolution of upper structure with two geared 9V motors
- left and right crawler independently driven by one old 9V motor each

I never tested out the max load it can withstand. I only tested it up to 2
kg. Then the Derrick boom showed it's insufficient construction and nearly
collapsed.

This crane is the first version. I got some blueprints from Liebherr and
therefore are able now to build this model more accurate, than it is in it's
actual state. You will read about it when the second version is done. (This
will last a bit, I think).
Pictures of the first version I will add to my site in the next few weeks.

Greetings from Switzerland

Beat