 Model Team / 431
Re: hazards of heavy lifting (Re: Crawler Crane MOC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:30:05 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Thomas Avery writes:
Yes, be very careful! The ideal condition that a crane builder wants is that
upon maximum load, the crane starts to tip over rather than break. When the
crane starts to tip, you can immediately stop the lift and all is saved.

However, if something fails in the boom, then you can guess what will
happen. I haven't failed a crane in this manner yet, but I did test one of
my truss bridges to failure. It failed when one small truss memeber snapped
in half and the rest of the structure crashed to a heap on the floor in an
instant.

You're right. My crane crashed once:
http://www.geocities.com/dennisbosman3/lego/b04f23.jpg

But I didn't lift anything. It was due to a construction error. You could
image I was really pissed off.

My advice on heavy lifting is to stay very close to your model and have your
hands ready. If something should go wrong then you'll be right there to stop it.

But the bigger your crane, the harder to keep it straight .... This
loonatic's crane almost crashed once. He put about 10 kg in it. Without a
load he would crash anyway, but this guy is so stupid, he put a lot of
weight in the hook. He the biggest loonatic I've ever seen .... But I must
admit, his crane is rather impressive:

On one of my older cranes, I was lifting a heavy load when some of the
rigging broke. The load dropped and the main boom went flying backwards.
Fortunately, I caught it in my hands, but all the lifting lines went slack
and got tangled.

One other bad experience of mine happened when the main lifting line became
tangled in the upper block (at the top of the boom) and became stuck. The
winch then began pulling the boom backwards. Since the boom was nearly
vertical, it didn't have to go far before gravity took over and quickly
finished pulling the boom over backwards.

Eeek, you've coped with a lot of problems. But you learn from it and I
suppose you know the limits of LEGOs.

B.t.w., seen this LTM1800?

This guy is a farmer for occupation and likes building cranes. He has
already built a DEMAG AC1600:

Telescopic cranes are more difficult to build than latice boom cranes. I
admire his work.

Another nice one, once again an AC1600:

This guy was nearly 16 years when he built it!

And this was my LG1550:

I've also pictures of a 4.7 metres high latice boom crane, a Gottwald. This
isn't an accurate model, but rather impressive. I will put some pictures on
Brickshelf very soon.

Be careful, but have fun!

We will sure do!

Dennis