 Technic / 4964
Re: 8860 Scissors lift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 08:23:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Arnon writes:
In lugnet.technic, Gaurav Thakur writes:

BTW while we're on the subject of the 8860, what kind of shock absorbers did
it use? The pictures I have seen of the model on eBay auctions that say
"100% complete" or something similar use the light-gray small shocks (also
used on 8865), but the picture on the box seems to have some kinds of
springs wound around axles to make the suspension operate. Anyone know
something about this?

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman

Oh yeah, that's a great question.
I remember that as a child I felt like I was cheated out of building that
part. I guess I hated POOPs even as a child! I completely forgot about it
until you mentioned it.

Does anyone have this set with the suspension that is shown on the box?
Any information at all?

- David

I've got two copies, one of which which I got for Christmas in the year of
release.  Both use 'Shock Absorber 6.5l's.  I always assumed (even as a kid)
that the box photo was a prototype and the shocks were added due to some
design flaw of the prototype setup.  Interestingly you can break apart an
SA6.5l (it can be rebuilt) and then use the spring to build the 'prototype'
version but I've only done this 'stand alone' not as part of building the
whole 8860.  I'll do this soon and see if there's a significant difference
in performance.

While we're on the subject.  My original 8860 has chrome taps.  At SCLF I
found out that everyone else's were grey.  Can any 8860 owners shed any
light on this.

Psi