 Technic / 4187
    Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Jennifer Clark
   (...) I've no idea what the situation is in the US, but in the UK there seems to be a move away from the double wheel arrangement on trucks. The majority of trailers nowadays, for example, have three axles, each of which has only single tyres, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Larry Pieniazek
   (...) The US has a HUGE fleet which makes it hard to spot trends sometimes. The vast majority of over the road trucks continue to be 18 wheelers (tractor with 1 steer axle, 2 tires, and two drive axles, 4 tires each, trailer with two axles, 4 tires (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Jennifer Clark
     (...) Great answer Larry, you must have a mind like mine that accumulates all this sort of stuff for later citing. My head is full of it, which is pretty sad in a way but useful if one makes Technic models :-) (...) This sounds interesting - are (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Ronald Vallenduuk
     Hey guys, just reading the last few postings. What I think is a factor in the dual steering axles is the size of the roads. In europe we're a bit more pushed for space (and nowhere more than here in Holland of course) which makes roads narrower and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) That and the center of weight is closer to the center of the vehicle due to reduced length.. the US can afford to blow length on essentially unused space (...) This is cool, but what I meant by "centipede trailer" is one with 8 to 10 axles and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —James Brown
     (...) Here's one, although it's a heavy equipment mover, and has lots more than 10 axles. Lower left pic on this link: (URL) other types of heavy-duty movers on that link, too. :) James (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Ronald Vallenduuk
      Sorry, it's 6 legs on the forest walker. Pics and info here: (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) centipede is a steel hauling trailer. That is, it hauls structural steel (or coil steel) It's the same form factor as a regular 48' or 54' dual axle trailer except it has more axles. Way way more, like 8 or 10. Same width, same length. Does (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —James Brown
      (...) Ah, OK. Mild misunderstanding on my part... I thought the interest was more in the funky wheel thing, which IIRC these also use. I get to see these (relatively) frequently, with about 5 major industrial plants along the stretch of highway I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Ross Crawford
     (...) I'm currently working for Tenix, who are building ANZAC frigates for the Aus & NZ navies. They have these really neat vehicles for loading modules off barges[1]. They have 12 individually steerable axles, which can also be individually (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Gaurav Thakur
    (...) Yeah...I'm in the US too and mostly see the usual 18 wheelers. I have seen quite a few trash trucks though which seem to have 3 drive axles in the back, each housing 4 wheels (making total number of wheels 14). The interesting thing is that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: a question for those with lots of technic —Ross Crawford
     (...) Dunno about Europe, but here in australia they're reasonably common - often used for flat-trays carting building materials (brick pallets, etc). They generally have the 4 front wheels & 2 axles with 4 wheels each on the back. Many also have a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Four wheels good, two wheels bad —Jennifer Clark
   (...) In a European context they are sometimes referred to as a "lazy axle" and are retracted when the load in the vehicle is empty or light. The idea is to reduce tyre wear and improve fuel economy by reducing friction etc. I would imagine that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Four wheels good, two wheels bad —Jennifer Clark
   (...) They are common as muck here; as well as the type of vehicle you mention above, they are frequently used as heavy duty tippers, skip trucks and cement mixers. Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)