 Technic / 260
Re: info on pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:20:19 GMT

Hi All

Thanks for all the great info on pneumatics. I'm just playing around with a
few of the ideas, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything good.

I found a source for tubing. The RS catalogue contains Silicon tubing of 3 m
length, with a 1.6 mm wall thickness and an internal diameter of 1.6 mm. This
compares to the Lego tubing which has a 1.1 mm wall thickness and an internal
diameter of 1.9 mm. It is quite expensive at £8.80 (exc vat) for the 3 m, but
as it is the only source I have found for Silicone tubing, it will have to do.

You can not order direct from RS (unless you have an account), but they have a
sister company called Electromail who you can phone to get one off items if
you do not have an RS account. They carry the same stock, with the same
reference numbers and the same prices. Electromail can be contacted on 01536
204 555. The order number for the tubing is 184-5927.

I have made pneumatic T pieces out of the hard tubing that is supplied in the
RIS and 2x2 bricks. Just drilled holes in the sides of the brick and cut out
the bricks tube thing. I then drilled holes through each of the bits of tube
and passed one of these tubes through the other so the air could flow through.
I then assembled these bits of tube inside the brick, Superglued the tubes
into the drilled holes and sealed the whole lot in Bostik Heat Gun glue. It's
soft so will take slightly rougher handling, but still maintain a good seal
round the joins. Oh, I also sanded the ends of the tubes to create a nice
chamfer to help slide the rubber tubing onto the hard tube.

CYA

Mike