 Technic / 259
Re: Technic air-dampers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:57:17 GMT

As Huw says, the black piece of plastic, that prevents the spring from
dropping into the clear cylinder, breaks up.
This renders the damper completely useless.

As soon as my original replacements arrived, I placed them in a compressed
position, to see how long they lasted since they were of an identical design
to those that came with my 8448.
After only 2 weeks, I saw that 1 was breaking up quite badly, and the other
had started to show the signs of breaking up.

I phoned LEGO today.
The lady, with whom I spoke, informed me that the weakness was known, and
that some improved stock had been delivered in the last 3 weeks. She said
that she would send some replacements.
She encouraged me to inform LEGO immediately if these new parts suffered the
same fate.

While I do not enjoy breaking LEGO parts, especially since they are normally
so well made, I will have to immediately stick the new ones in compression.
I'll let you know what happens.

I really hope they've got it right now, since it's a beautiful part, with
real potential.
If the flawed part is now made of aluminium, I'll have a very high degree of
confidence in it, otherwise... well we'll see.

Jonathon

Huw Millington wrote in message ...
Huw? when you say "shattered internally" what
are you seeing there? broken seals or fractured
ABS parts ?

The part inside the cylinder at the top that takes the pressure of the
compressed spring is obviously not man enough for the job because it cracks
and leaves bits of ABS inside the cylinder.

Huw