 Technic / 265
Re: info on pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:32:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mike McFarlane writes:
Hi All
I have just ordered some pneumatic cylinders and pumps from Lego Service, but
they did not have any tubing or accumulators/air tanks (at least December, and
when I phoned in October I was told November.)
Has anybody any alternative sources in the UK where I could order tubing and
air tanks? If not I thought about having a scout around some DIY shops etc to
try and find tubing, else using the sheath/cover from electrical wires. I
thought I might be able to make an air tank out of a 35mm camera film
container using some of the rigid 2mm tubing that is supplied in the RIS to
make the air connections, and some 8 stud plates glued on top and bottom for
fixing to my models. Does anyone know if there is a one way valve in the air
tank on the inlet or does the air just pass straight through? Does anyone have
any better ideas for making your own parts?
Thanks
Mike McFarlane

Greetings.
Somehow I don't have full confidence that a 35mm film can would be able to
withstand 40psi on a constant basis, i.e. fill, drain, fill and so on. If you
manage to make it work be sure to post some pics and info - I wanna see it. :)

Anyone looking for plenty of pro-grade pneumatic stuff including pumps,
valves, cylinders, and hose, should check out

http://www.clippard.com

They manufacture the stuff. Lots of it. Last time I was at their site, I found
downloadable .pdf catalogues, and on phoning them I got the number of a local
supplier.
I never did actually get around to ordering from them, as the project I was
investigating for kinda died on the drawing board, but the salesman I spoke to
at the time seemed friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

At the time I even found a source for C02 regulators, to bring the pressure
down to a usable 40-50psi from the astronomical pressures those wee canisters
contain. I've forgotten the url and company name, but if anyone's interested
I'm sure I can dig it up.

My 3 cents. :)

K.M.