 Technic / 15491
Re: What's the difference?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:26:40 GMT

Hello All,

Nice and correct description, Luis.

A range changer would have a ratio of 1:4 in this example. (16z/16z and
32z/8z)
A Splitter would have a ratio of 1: 1.25. (16z/16z and 16z/12z)

Hmm, these ratios are a little bit hard to build though...

Greetings
Maico Arts

Luis Hernández schreef:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:

Between a splitter and a range change on a truck gearbox?

I know what the difference is functionally, what I want to know is the
mechanical difference. I've tried Google without much luck.

Thanks.

Steve

Mechanically, I would think of the splitter as an additional gearbox. Using the
same example Maico gave, you have a 4-speed plus reverse gearbox. The splitter
would be simply an additional 2-speed gearbox.

Suppose the ratios in the 4-speed gearbox (I won't care about the reverse, but
it would be the same) are the following (using Lego Technic gears):

1st: 24/8  = 3.00
2nd: 20/12 = 1.66
3rd: 16/16 = 1.00
4th: 12/20 = 0.60

And the ratios in the splitter would be
High: 16/16 = 1
Low:  24/8  = 3

Lets look at the deffinitive ratios (total ratio= gearbox ratio * splitter
ratio)

~Speed
~1st
~2nd
~3rd
~4th

~Range High, splitter low: splitter high
~3.00   2.25
~1.66   1.00
~1.00   0.75
~0.60   0.25

~Low:
~12.00
~6.40
~4.00
~2.40

In total you would have 4 x 2 = 8 speeds. But, if the ratios aren't chosen
carefully, there would be dupilcated speeds, as in this case. However, AFAIK, in
Lego the choice of gears is very limited, so we'll have to live with that.

The gearbox would be operated by the gear lever (I don't know well how to say it
in English, excuse me), and the splitter would be operated by the switches at
the top of the gear lever.. well, Glen explained that part better.

Hope this helps.

Luis <<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lmhariano/Me/colombia.gif>>¬
(comments, instructions, death threats, etc. please remove all the X's)