 Technic / 15472
Re: What's the difference?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:46:41 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane wrote:
Between a splitter and a range change on a truck gearbox?

I know what the difference is functionally, what I want to know is the
mechanical difference. I've tried Google without much luck.

Thanks.

Steve

Hey Steve,

I think the best way that I can describe the difference is by explaining how the
gear shift on a Semi works...I have this knowledge.. I drive one!
Hmmm...imagine a four speed standard transmission on a car.. neutral would be in
the middle, 1st gear top left, 2nd bottom left, 3rd top right, 4th bottom
right.. ok?..
NOW, on your gear shift where your hand grips there would be two
buttons/switches. One would be the splitter, the second would be to transfer
from low to high range..
With this type of transmission, both switches would be done with air(moves
splitter and range gears inside transmission)
Now picture that 4speed trans. again...
The splitter gives you double the amount of gears from 4-8.
Eg. start in first,flick splitter switch, now in second, move gear handle to 2nd
bottom left position and at the same time, flick the splitter switch to original
position, your now in third...
You do this for each "corner"..
Now the second switch on your gear handle is to move the range..

so when your in 8th(bottom right, splitter on), you flick the range switch and
at the same time move your splitter switch into original position..and move the
gear handle to top left position again, now you have another 8gears
total:16
one more position on the top left corner which you need to gently force into
give you reverse
last position is bottom left for whats called a low gear(used in a starting
position when loaded to the max, or maybe in muddy conditions)

   reverse  1/2, 9/10    5/6, 13/14
     #         #             #
     #  neut#############ral##
   lowgear  3/4, 11/12   7/8, 15/16

might seem confusing, but actually it quite easy to use once you get the hang of
it..
Here is a link for you to look at, this should give additional info.
http://www.truck.eaton.com/trans.htm
Hope that helps!
Take Care,
Glen Bell