 Technic / 14620
Re: Pneumatic "One Leg at a Time" Robot Circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:18:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
How many different 'designs' could one come up with for an AND gate in LEGO
pnuematics anyway?

I've come up with three AND gate technologies so far.   Also I've come up
with three OR gate designs too (those are differential output, plus I have
a single pressure OR too).  I've only come up with one differential XOR and
a single pressure XOR.

My first AND and OR technologies seem lauchable now.  The second technology uses
very small part counts.  The third technology is simply taking Mark Tarrabain's
single piston single switch AND gate and making it differential output.  I then
created a single pressure OR and a differential OR comparable to the latest
style AND gates.

Kev

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net

There's probably no limit to the number of designs, but only a few will have a
situation where they are the best one.  Different designs are better in
different situations.  Of the differential output designs that provide output
hoses to both ends of a cylinder:

Kev's 2-cylinder in line AND gate
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=356936 is the most
cost-effective, with just 2 cylinders and 1 switch.  It's the best one to use in
a static model or behind the scenes, where you have plenty of room.  I see Kev
has been working on a more compact version, to apply it to smaller spaces.

When you need to have a model function move a switch, the 1+4 AND gate that Kev
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1351862 and I
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1366841 have both worked on is
the most cost-effective.  How I forgot about it till Kevin reminded me is
probably the effect of too many trains!

My 3+3 AND gate
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/Building-Blocks/pneumatic_and_or_nand_and_nor_circuits.jpg
is symmetrical and Kev recognised it as having the advantage of only releasing
pressure between one switch and the output cylinder for any change of input
states, which is an advantage if it's bearing a load at the time the inputs
change but you want to minimise the amount of air leaking from the output
cylinder.  In that situation it's worth the extra switch.

Mark