 Technic / 13074
Re: How to get non-circular movements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:55:06 GMT

Hello,

A very simple way to produce an elliptical motion is to start with a circular
motion and use a lever system to increase the travel on one axis but not the
other. Here are a couple of links to some walkers I've made as illustrations:

The first uses an axle attached to the cam. This axle can slide freely through a
pivot located directly above the cam(although this isn't a perfect example
because the pivot point here is off-center). If the portion of the leg below the
point where it connects to the cam is longer than the distance between this
point and the upper pivot point, the ellipse will be wider than it is tall, if
shorter, the ellipse will be taller than it is wide. The second example uses the
same principle, but uses levers instead of a sliding joint.

Hope this makes things simpler,

James