 Technic / 13061
13060  |  13062
Subject:
How to get non-circular movements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:05:53 GMT

Short question: how can I combine technic gears, arms, cams, etc. to make a
motor-driven part that does not move in either a straight line, a circle, or an
arc (i.e. part of a circle)?

Long question: I'm trying to figure out how to drive an arm so that the tip
traces out an oval or elliptical path.  But using only standard technic parts,
I'm stumped.  Gears and wheels obviously move in perfect circles, as do anything
attached to a cam at a fixed point.  An arm attached to a gear and a pivot point
sweeps out a circular arc.  And a piston attached to either of those moves in a
straight line, back and forth.

And that's it, that's all I could come up with.  In custom machines, other paths
are often created by attachment to non-circular cams, such that the radius of
the attachment point to the rotation point varies as it turns.  But I don't see
any way to do that with standard lego parts.

Any ideas?  Or is this just a limitation we live with?

Thanks,
- Joe