 Technic / 13063
Re: How to get non-circular movements?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:04:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joe Strout wrote:

Short question: how can I... make a motor-driven part that...
traces out an oval or elliptical path.

   Have an arm attached off-center on a gear, running through a fixed pivot
point (that is free to rotate!). As the main gear rotates, the distance between
the driven end of the arm and the pivot point changes as the off-center
attatchment point moves closer and further from the fixed pivot. Rebuild with
the pivot point a different distance from the center of the gear, and you get
various ovals, long & thin or short & wide. This technique is often used for
turning multi-legged walkers, for instance.

Any ideas?  Or is this just a limitation we live with?

   This is Technic - there are no limits, just challenges <grin>. Take a look at
this thread from a few years ago:

http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=6029&t=i&v=a

And in particular, on of the embedded links:

http://www.brockeng.com/mechanism/index.htm

amazing array of devices - many of which (including the Geneva wheel!) have been
reproduced in LEGO.

--
Brian Davis