 Technic / 13061
  How to get non-circular movements?

Short question: how can I combine technic gears, arms, cams, etc. to make a motor-driven part that does not move in either a straight line, a circle, or an arc (i.e. part of a circle)? Long question: I'm trying to figure out how to drive an arm so (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) Have an arm attached off-center on a gear, running through a fixed pivot point (that is free to rotate!). As the main gear rotates, the distance between the driven end of the arm and the pivot point changes as the off-center attatchment point (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) Greetings, An "elliposgraph" aka "elliptic trammel" should be just what you need. (URL) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) (rather than operated by hand) will be nontrivial. But should be possible. Thanks for the pointer! Best, - Joe (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) Ah, I see. The pivot point must be free to slide on the arm (er, vice versa) as well. I think that's the key bit I was missing last night. (...) devices in my Technic models. Best, - Joe (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(URL) regards pixel (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) question at any of them, as far as I can see. Could you elaborate on how this applies? Thanks, - Joe (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

"Joe Strout" <joe@strout.net> wrote in message news:I2x55x.Dt6@lugnet.com... (...) to my (...) this (...) some multiple joins allow to create what you want there are many examples how to create sophisticated moves using joined vectors (for me they (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) In a stange tie in, I remember seeing a elliptical lathe on an episode of the New Yankee Workshop (a PBS woodworking show). A quick google search turned (no pun intended) up the following: (URL) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

(...) as used in the legs of the [LEGOSet 9754] I have reproduced a basic version: (URL) ROSCO (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: How to get non-circular movements?

Hello, A very simple way to produce an elliptical motion is to start with a circular motion and use a lever system to increase the travel on one axis but not the other. Here are a couple of links to some walkers I've made as illustrations: (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)