 Technic / 1146
Re: Flex tube material
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:36:40 GMT

"Christopher Jeris" <cjeris@math.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:FqGDMC.HvE@lugnet.com...

[snip

Mark Koesel mentioned in his reply that soft flex tube first appeared in
1997, on 8250/8299 Search Sub.  I'm looking through the catalog scans
from 1997 to present, and the following sets look like they might have
soft flex tube in them, besides 8250/8299 and 8002:
1997 - 8215 Gyro Copter, 8277 Giant Model Set, 8414 Mountain Rambler,
       8437 Future Car
1998 - 8417 Mag Wheel Master, 8428 Turbo Command
1999 - 8246 Hydro Racer, 8253 Fire Helicopter, 8255 Rescue Motorbike

Actually, all of these sets use the rigid tubes.  The soft tubes are only
used on 8250/8299, 8002, and (as someone else -- sorry I can't remember
who, and I've delete the post already -- pointed out) the "Scuba" Throwbot.

In effect, the soft, rubber tubes are pretty rare, and only available in
yellow and brown to date.  They really are pretty specialized pieces.
They provide no structural rigidity, so they are not nearly as useful
(even in a purely cosmetic application) as the rigid, plastic flex tubes.

These are guesses based only on the fact that I see a flex tube bent
in a fairly tight curve in these models!

Yep, and this does tend to put a practically permanent bend in the tubes.
But they are pretty darn flexible indeed.