 Technic / 1169
Re: Flex tube material
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:38:05 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:FqGInA.K66@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Jim Hughes writes:
The brown soft flexible tubing in the 8002 set is different from • pneumatic
tubing, it has thinner walls and has a smaller diameter.

Ho-HO!  Wow, so there are TWO (maybe 3?) kinds of rubber tubing?

1.  Real pneumatic tubing, as seen in pneumatic sets and in the 1998 • Aquazone
    sets, and
2.  This new thinner rubber tubing, as seen in 8002 Destroyer Droid and
    8503 Scuba.

How does the old black rubber tubing from 483 Alpha-1 Rocket Base compare?
That's not shiny like the newer pneumatic tubing, but is it the same
thickness?

This tubing was the same type used in early Technic models.  It was
discontinued when the new pneumatic cylindars were introduced (I believe),
and replaced with the newer pneumatic tubing, which is more "rubbery".
It is therefore not really a third type -- at least no more so than, say,
a Cellulose Acetate 2x4 brick is a second type of 2x4 brick.

I can confirm this, at least for 8002 and 8503 -- just checked, and they • are
the same diameter, and both definitely thinner than regular pneumatic
tubing.

Indeed.

But these still aren't Flex System tubes, right??

No they aren't really.  But the original post that started all of this never
really claimed they were.  In fact, that post did not even, apparently,
realize
that the Flex Tubes tubes main purpose for existence was for the Flex
System.
And why would he really?  They are scarecely used for that purpose these
days.

A Flex System inner-cable
does fit sorta cleanly into the thinner rubber tubes, but gives LOTS of
resistance when turning or sliding -- unlike the real Flex System plastic
outer tubes, which glide most wonderfully.  :)

Yep.  That's why I said in my post that these parts are pretty specialized.
There function is purely asthetic (much the same way a Lego tree might be
considered purely asthetic).  Of course, there may be more functional uses
for these (you might be able to find a way to use them with pneumatics, for
example), but they are not as good for "all purpose" tubing as the pneumatic
tubes, and they are not as good for structural cosmetics as the flex tubes
are.  Thus, they are generally not too useful (and hence, not too common).