 Technic / 1136
Re: Flex tube material
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:46:38 GMT

"Christopher Jeris" <cjeris@math.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:FqEKx2.JuE@lugnet.com...
I have noticed that thin flex tubing (Technica section 050) appears in

[snip]

recent cars, for instance.

Does anyone have more information on when and where the different
materials appeared?

The rigid flex tubes first appeared in 1991 in sets 8074 Universal and
8856 Whirlwind Rescue.  In these sets the tubing was used soley with a
functional purpose in mind -- to be used as sheaths for the flex
system cables.  In 1993, a new use for the cabling was found.  Sets
8868 Air Tech Claw Rig and 8837 Pneumatic Excavator used the tubing
as "extenders" for pneumatic tubing.  This allowed a "low profile"
appearance when routing pneumatic tubes on models.  It was not until
1995 that Lego first used this type of tubing for non-functional
(cosmetic) purposes -- sets 8812 Areo Hawk II and 8829 Dune Blaster
both use the tubes in this way.  Today the tubing is used on many
models for cosmetic purposes, with it's original functional purpose
taking a "back seat" and use only sparsely.

The flexible, rubber types have only been used cosmetically thus
far.  These were introduced in 1997 on the 8250/8299.  It remains
to be seen if Lego has any functional purpose in mind for these
tubes.

Are there any more kinds, besides the two I have seen?

No, however there have been slight variances in the rigid type over
the years, mostly in color (the newer yellow and dk. gray are a bit
different in shade than the older).