 Technic / 10857
Re: Water Tank in 8454?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:50:09 GMT

And right behind the cab are two opposing doors with some
really freaky design setup that prevents them from both being opened at the same
time (I'm not sure why, but it's true).  Between those two sections are two blue
"lights" mounted to the top.  The forward one controls the aim of the water
cannon, and the rear one controls the steering of six of the eight wheels, so
both of those have to have some sort of control setup connected to them.  So
yes, there is some empty space in there, but it's probably not all one big empty
space.

    Oh that is weird. When I looked at the Technic site at www.lego.com/technic,
it showed that both side doors could be opened at the same time, or was it an
error? Oh so that is the purpose of the 1st knob. I thought the 1st knob
controlled the front steering and the back knob controlled the rear steering.
Well that clears some stuff. I know what you mean by the space limitations.
Inside the truck, without the engine and cab, the middle section is divided into
three because of the axle that connects the knob with the chassis of the truck.
The easiest place to put a tank would be right in the middle sicne that is also
the place where the side doors open.

so I don't think taking out the engine would be necessary

     Maybe not, but I suspect that area is likely to be the simplest place to
mount a pneumatic reservoir, and using two together will take up twice as much
space.  Assuming you don't go the SuperSoaker route.

and as for the steering mechanism....well I have to buy the model to actually
see how it is and how much space is available

     It really is quite cool.  From what I remember, one combined steering
system directly controls all six steerable wheels.  The third set back is the
fixed set, so the second and fourth sets steer roughly opposed to each other,
and the forward set slightly oversteers, so all eight wheels are able to roll
freely without any of them being loose mounted.  Most of the steering system is
probably located in the undercarriage, but like I said, the rear blue light is
the steering control, so if you want to use the space directly underneath it
without disconnecting the steering system, you'll probably have to use a series
of gears and/or belts to offset the vertical connection from the control knob.

but thanks for the ideas.

     Think nothing of it.  I'm between horribly convoluted problems right now,
so it's nice to fill that annoying little void in my life.  ;P

    I don't want to make this project too complicated since I am new at Technic
(I only have the 4x4 Off-Roader and recently bought the Extreme Off-Roader). I
was thinking of other projects like how to turn the Extreme Off-Roader into an
RC Truck using the base from the RC Race Buggy and to place an air tank instead
of the engine for the back-hoe but this project can't be done since the
pneumatic pack from Shop@Home is not available anymore.
    Since I can't get an air tank, I was thinking of buying a pneumatic pump and
pneumatic tubes and maybe I can find a very small container, make a hole,
connect the pump and the container using tubes and modify the cannon using more
tubes from the container to outside and replace the original. And of course I
will fill the tank with water and see if the pump puts pressure on the water and
pushes it through the hose on top. Problems are right now that I need to buy the
model and see exactly how much space there is and how could I stop the water
from coming out?

Steve M.