 Technic / 10547
Re: Zipper--the two-piece flying helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:45:33 GMT

I seriously doubt you could build a flying machine entirely from LEGO. I know this may sound like 18th Century scoffing, but there are some good reasons for this.

First is that LEGO plastic is quite dense and makes for fairly thick walls compared to these flying toys. It floats in water, but only just. To keep the weight down you would have to use a very thin framework.

The studs, grooves and hollow undersides of LEGO parts simply aren’t smooth enough to make efficient wings or propellers. You may be able to generate a flow of air from spinning components, but not enough to lift the moving components themselves.

LEGO propellors are particularly small, and not very well designed as actual propulsive devices. These technic ones have quite a rough surface.

Try taking one of the old, ungeared, 9V motors and attaching two propellor pieces to it at right angles. It’ll certainly generate a draught, but I’d be surprised if you can feel even the slightest weight reduction.

What is needed is non-LEGO components, such as a lightweight covering shrunk over a framework wing, and proper model propellors or rotors designed for that purpose.

I’d be happy for someone to prove me wrong, but I’m not holding my breath!

Jason Railton