 Technic / 10548
Re: Zipper--the two-piece flying helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:00:51 GMT

"Jason J Railton" <j.j.railton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:HFyDvx.9IF@lugnet.com...
I seriously doubt you could build a flying machine entirely from LEGO.  I know
this may sound like 18th Century scoffing,

that's why i didn't say it's not possible :)
i heard someone here who said the lego hovercraft will not work...

First is that LEGO plastic is quite dense and makes for fairly thick walls
compared to these flying toys.  It floats in water, but only just.

sorry but it not true
i bougt some sets form auctions
and washed them
the definitely sink

if they don't they have some air bubbles underneath
(not inside the material but in corners and hollows)

The studs, grooves and hollow undersides of LEGO parts simply aren't smooth
enough to make efficient wings or propellers.  You may be able to generate a
flow of air from spinning components, but not enough to lift the moving
components themselves.

that's not the real problem

LEGO propellors are particularly small, and not very well designed as actual
propulsive devices.  These technic ones have quite a rough surface.

forget the TLC propellers
the can be used with rubber belt-powered device (maybe) but not with electric motors

Try taking one of the old, ungeared, 9V motors and attaching two propellor
pieces to it at right angles.  It'll certainly generate a draught, but I'd be
surprised if you can feel even the slightest weight reduction.

nothing happens
even if you deliver 12 or more V

What is needed is non-LEGO components, such as a lightweight covering shrunk
over a framework wing, and proper model propellors or rotors designed for that
purpose.

the propeller is not a problem for me
i could build the wing acording to ie oyvind's idea
but i coannot design gearing to move (rotate it speed enough)

I'd be happy for someone to prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath!

it was not my goal to prove you are wrong
but we are going to develop really fluing machine and
we did some tests and observations

we means the members

best regards
pixel