 Storage / 930
929  |  931
Subject:
Large Quantity sorting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:38:04 GMT

I've been depriving myself of all LEGO construction the past month in
order to finally sort all of my pieces.  Using Akro-Mils units, I've
just about completed my first run through the sorting process.  My
question relates to the sorting of bricks, plates, and slopes.

Up till now, I've simply been tossing bricks and the larger plates and
slopes into large rubbermaid bins, knowing full well that I won't be
able to fit them into any drawers.  What sort of a system do people tend
to use for these high-quantity, high-volume pieces?

I was considering buying a bunch of the rubbermaid three-drawer units.
My thought was that I could put logical pairs of pieces together - 1x6
and 1x1 in one drawer, 1x2 and 1x8 in another, 1x3 and 1x10 in a third,
etc. With a system like this, I imagine it might be pretty easy to pick
out the part you wanted - first because the eye sorts by color quite
naturally, and secondly because the mixing of two widely disparate
shapes might be easily distinguishable.  My thought was that this might
necessitate fewer drawers total.  Has anybody ever tried something like
this, and have they had any luck with it?

Otherwise, how do you sort your high-quantity high-volume pieces?