 Storage / 935
Re: Large Quantity sorting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 21:25:56 GMT

Shaun Sullivan <shaun_sullivan@irco.com> writes:
I've been depriving myself of all LEGO construction the past month in
order to finally sort all of my pieces.  Using Akro-Mils units, I've
just about completed my first run through the sorting process.  My
question relates to the sorting of bricks, plates, and slopes.

Up till now, I've simply been tossing bricks and the larger plates and
slopes into large rubbermaid bins, knowing full well that I won't be
able to fit them into any drawers.  What sort of a system do people tend
to use for these high-quantity, high-volume pieces?

I was considering buying a bunch of the rubbermaid three-drawer units.
My thought was that I could put logical pairs of pieces together - 1x6
and 1x1 in one drawer, 1x2 and 1x8 in another, 1x3 and 1x10 in a third,
etc. With a system like this, I imagine it might be pretty easy to pick
out the part you wanted - first because the eye sorts by color quite
naturally, and secondly because the mixing of two widely disparate
shapes might be easily distinguishable.  My thought was that this might
necessitate fewer drawers total.  Has anybody ever tried something like
this, and have they had any luck with it?

Otherwise, how do you sort your high-quantity high-volume pieces?

I use the following categories in large IRIS drawers (counting upwards
from the ground):

* 1x2 and 2x2 bricks and plates
* 1x3 and 2x3 bricks and plates
* 1x4 and 2x4 bricks and plates
* 1x6, 2x6, 1x12; 4x6 and 6x6 bricks and plates
* 1x8, 2x8, 4x8, 6x8, 4x4, 1x16, 2x16, 6x16 bricks and plates
* 1x1, 1x10, 2x10, 4x10, 6x10, 6x14 bricks and plates

The logic here was to try to group things together in ways that were
easily distinguished.  The x2, x3, and x4 categories are by far the
largest, so I didn't group them with any bigger ones.  Since x6 and x8
are smaller, I included the double-size categories with them: x12 and
x16.  I also included 4x4 in with the x8's because it would be easier
to find them there than mixed in with all the 2x4 bricks.  Since there
are no x20 bricks or plates, I combined the x10 with x1.  And I had a
handful of x14 plates, so I mixed them in there as well.

--Bill.

                    (formerly known as hermit@bayview.com)
                   Life is too important to take seriously.