 Storage / 937
Re: Large Quantity sorting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 20:50:24 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Eric Kingsley writes:
I sort Bricks using LEGO Tubs and Buckets.  They are all sorted by type, for
really common sizes like 2x4 and 1x4 I usually split up colors.  For example I
put Red, White, and Blue in one tub Black, Yellow, and Green in another and • all
other colors in another.  So far this works great for me and I don't have to
spend any $$ on additional containers.

Definitely, dual or triple color sorting systems work very well.  For example,
I sort all 6x plates into Black with Gray, Yellow with White, Blue with Red.
Same goes for 4x plates.  My 2x and 1x plates are sorted as Red with Black and
Gray, Blue with Yellow and White.  Definitely much easier to find those little
1x1 plates.  And plates are not sorted any further than that.

I have been sorting my collection for over 20 years and have tried lots of
methods. What works for me is:  Primary sorting by part category (eg. inverse
bevel bricks); Secondary sorting is by specific pieces often with two or three
piece sizes sorted together; Tertiary sorting is when I separate by color if
there are enough of a given piece.

My system is not ideal but it works for me.  I am against what I call
"over-sorting" meaning some people use drawer systems and separate each piece
and each color from each other resulting in hundreds of drawers.  I would think
this would seriously slow down both the building process and the re-sorting
process.  Too many individual compartments...

Back to what I started with, sorting specific pieces into two or three color
groups aids in finding a specific part more speedily.  I was thinking that I am
the only person to sort this way until Eric spoke up...

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusiast for over 20 years....

.