 Storage / *1610 (-20)
Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:12:36 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   And made from wood (or a wood-like substance), which is not a LEGO usual feature.

What’s so unusual about it? The Billund LEGOLAND park still reportedly sells the same wooden letter blocks that have been made by The LEGO Company since before they got into plastics.

   I wouldn’t buy them for my kids (if I had them), but I might consider them if I were single and LEGO was my job (Think like that artist chap that has a need for a studio’s worth of storage). I might also consider them if I were filthy rich and wanted my kids to have a LEGO room. Otherwise, I agree--they are a tad steep for my taste.

I might eventually buy the table and stool, just for the novelty of it all, but as cool as the stacking bins are...they’re too expensive to do large-scale storage with, and too cool to just get one or two, unless you’ve got cash bleeding out of your pockets in need of something to be spent on.

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
Anyone see the new "LEGO Furniture" items being sold now in the online
catalog?

Yup.  Mostly they all look pretty cool (particularly the ones that actually have
studs on top for stacking purposes), but at those prices I will have to pass.

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes
for $12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who
thinks that the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

They aren't.  Not really.  Have you priced furniture recently?  I've been
looking for fairly basic computer desks, and I've been seeing prices as high as
$300 to get what I'm looking for.  And these are made from cheap, pressed
particle-board.  The LEGO furniture appears to be made from milled lumber, or at
least high-grade plywood.  _Those_ desks ran upwards of $900, and that was
without some of the key features I'm looking for.  These are not priced to be a
high-volume sales item, but

And, there's a table that's 2' by 4' by a foot and a half high - for two
hundred dollars!!  I could make something like that out of less than ten
dollars of wood... it doesn't even have baseplates on its surface!

Yeah, I'm guessing you haven't priced wood lately either.  Or you'd be making it
entirely out of 3/8" CDX plywood.  But I do have to agree about the absense of
and incompatibility with baseplates.  It'd make more sense if there was a
shallow hint of a pit sized 30"x60", so that the top surface of baseplates (not
counting the studs, of course) would sit flush with the rim of the table, and it
would accomodate 3x6 32-stud baseplates, or 2x4 48-stud baseplates.  That way
the baseplates would stay locked in place, would be interchangable, and you
could continue building out over the rim without it tilting your MOC one way or
the other.

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:03:20 GMT

I just looked at the sorting and storage box I bought, with the shelves and sure enough it was made in China. John P

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
   Anyone see the new “LEGO Furniture” items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for $12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there’s a table that’s 2’ by 4’ by a foot and a half high - for two hundred dollars!! I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of wood... it doesn’t even have baseplates on its surface!

Brian--

Yeah, I’ve seen them. They’re nice. Nifty.

And made from wood (or a wood-like substance), which is not a LEGO usual feature. I wouldn’t buy them for my kids (if I had them), but I might consider them if I were single and LEGO was my job (Think like that artist chap that has a need for a studio’s worth of storage). I might also consider them if I were filthy rich and wanted my kids to have a LEGO room. Otherwise, I agree--they are a tad steep for my taste.

Nobody said you had to buy them, though...While I appreciate the idea, I’d rather buy LEGO proper and create a different way to store it all. If you’re really good with wood and the tools to shape it--build your own storage. Me, I’m not so good with that kind of thing. That’s why big box stores (like the one that starts with “W” and ends in “Mart”) like people like me. We buy very big plastic tubs, and use those to store LEGO. No bugs, they stack well, and I can keep the original boxes and bags. (Ziploc bags are a help here as well.)They’re not perfect--but it’s a whole wad cheaper than the LEGO storage boxes.

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detective”

They are in the new catalog. My guess is that they were made in China and cost Lego about a dollar each. Tack on another dollar for shipping to the distrabution center. Give it time, they probably bought thousands and when they get stuck with them, as with Galidor, the price will drop very very low. John P

Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:22:33 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:04:14 GMT

Anyone see the new "LEGO Furniture" items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep
by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet
high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for
$12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that
the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there's a table that's 2' by 4' by a foot and a half high - for two hundred
dollars!!  I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of
wood... it doesn't even have baseplates on its surface!

Re: Completely inspired
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 19:11:17 GMT

snip

See, what we have here is a failure to communicate--this was supppose to be the pic of bins ‘n boxes under the table. Eh...

   Dave K

Wow, looks like you have been very busy indeed. I use those same storage bins of my collection as well, although I dont think I will ever get around to sorting it all, so much for that New Years resolution (even tho I still have half a year... Im not holding my breath.)

Hmmm, I did manage to see the pics yesterday, but looks like you are having a server issue today Dave... hopefully its a quick fix.

Janey “Red Brick”

Re: Completely inspired
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:51:42 GMT

snip

See, what we have here is a failure to communicate--this was supppose to be the pic of bins ‘n boxes under the table. Eh...

   Dave K

Subject:
Completely inspired
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:47:32 GMT

By this guy--

http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=1599

(thanks James!)

And by the fact that Canadian Tire had a sale last week of those drawers, we redid the LEGO room--

Still in the throes of cleaning things up and organizing--have to sort the stuff in these bins/boxes--

(as well as other bins ‘n boxes distributed thru the basement)

And I wanna build shelves above these drawers to hold the miscellaneous stuff, but I think it’s coming together very nicely!

Once again, thanks to James for the perfect idea for our LEGO storage issue.

Dave K

Re: My latest LEGO room in order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Trobaugh wrote:
   After moving into my new house almost a year ago I finally got my LEGO room in order...

James-

Nice job. It looks like a fun and comfortable place to “work”. We haven’t had our LEGO space that orderly for 10 years.

But: You do have room for more LEGO in the room! Check out all that unused space between the ceiling joists.

-Ted

Re: My latest LEGO room in order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:51:21 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Trobaugh wrote:
   After moving into my new house almost a year ago I finally got my LEGO room in order. Its a 10x20 room in my basement, and yes I have to share it with a HVAC unit & water heater but I take the space where I can find it.

It does give me plenty of room for storage and building space. Of course I’ve already filled it up with no room for more LEGO, but I’m sure I can find the room if needed.

That’s a really fine looking Lego room. I’m most definitely jealous of it.

Tim

Subject:
My latest LEGO room in order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:49:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

After moving into my new house almost a year ago I finally got my LEGO room in order. Its a 10x20 room in my basement, and yes I have to share it with a HVAC unit & water heater but I take the space where I can find it.

It does give me plenty of room for storage and building space. Of course I’ve already filled it up with no room for more LEGO, but I’m sure I can find the room if needed.

Subject:
me saa dumb dumb-- dumped my brick/plate modified---oops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:29:07 GMT

wow do i feel like jar jar binks at the moment. i fell asleap last night with my
brick/plate modified plano bin on my bed. this wasn't intentional as i kinda
passed out but when i woke up i found it on the floor,  DOH!  luckly? it didin't
end up upside down but there's a good amount on the floor and more in slots
where they don't belong. oh well i guess it's a learning experince.

anyone else have something like this happen recently?

ondrew<-- sorting yet again =)

Subject:
Speed Build Competition (and sorting & steam)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.build, lugnet.storage, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:43:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Jon Rasmussen, who has been in PNLTC and its offspring clubs for about 10 years
now and who is a very active builder in Wild West, among other themes, is still
a lurker here on Lugnet.  So I'm posting this stuff for him. :)

Jon will be hosting the Speed Build!
Saturday, March 31, 3:00 p.m.(Time subject to change without notice)

Come and compete with some of the slickest speed builders on the planet.  We
will be building one of the current small Racers sets.  The exact set will be
announced Frida, March 30th, during the Opening Ceremonies.  You may then
purchase th set at the Lego store which will be open exclusively to BrickFest
attendees from 10:00 pm to 1:00 am that night.  If you think you are up to the
challenge, come and see how fast the bricks will fly!

Jon will also be hosting this Panel Discussion:
Topic:  Well-Running Steam Engines
Come and interact with some of the greatest Lego steam train builders in the
world.  This will be an exciting give-and-take session with some of the keenest
minds when it comes to building a well-running steam engine.  So if you are a
trainhead at all, this will be a session NOT to miss!

And Jon will be hosting a Round Table Discussion
Topic:  Strategies on Sorting
This will be an opportunity to brainstorm with other Lego enthusiasts on
different methods and philosophies of sorting bricks.  Come and be ready to
share the ideas that have worked for you!  (This is always a really fun and
exciting discussion!)  YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS ONE!!!

Editor's (Matt's) note on the Round Table Discussion:  This discussion happens
every year at NWBrickCon and Rick Clark always tries to hijack it to his sorting
method which I can't even remember (something about zip lock bags).  Anyway, all
true and excellent sorting practices, as everyone should know by now, start with
Matt's Mushroom Bins (http://www.auctionbrick.com/mchiles/shroombins/) so come
and help keep this discussion on track!

And don't forget to check out Matt's Shroom Bins while you are at BrickFest - we
have a brand new Jumbo size that will be introduced there!

-Matt :)
(for Jon)
www.brickfest.com - only 2 weeks away!

Subject:
Sales at Menard's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:07:43 GMT

For those of you who live in a state with a Menard's store, they have the
following sales through October 15:

18 drawer cabinet - $9 (regular $11)
4"X8" pocket stowaway, 6 compartment - $1 (regular $2)

I know that a lot of people use the 18 drawer cabinets, and you can't find new
ones any cheaper than $9.

David

Re: Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:56:03 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Steve, although I don't think we've ever met.... welcome home neighbor!

Gary....Gary..gary........<sigh>...come to a meeting and you can meet your
neighbors from MichLTC :-) Chris
St. Clair Shores

Re: Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:06:45 GMT

Steve, although I don't think we've ever met.... welcome home neighbor!

Gary Istok
St. Clair Shores

Subject:
Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:09:54 GMT

Hi all,

My move to North Carolina last year was short lived. 18 months later I am back
in Detroit where I belong and back at my previous employer.

Things in North Carolina did not go as planned. The friend I went to help has
worsening health conditions due to MS, so I could no longer help her. Also, the
job I had absolutely sucked.

As luck would have it, my previous employer wanted me back. The timing could not
have been better.

My credit card is about paid off, which has now allowed me to go in search of my
first LSF. A real house to store my Lego, and build and play and a place for me
and my cat to call home.

I have already prequalified with 2 different mortgage companies. My credit is
excellent and so again, THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Steven Weiser

Re: Ultimate Lego Transport/Storage Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:54:45 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Garrison wrote:

I've finally found it...

...and after more than a year, so have I. The Office Depot by me finally had a
few of these in stock (I grabbed two). They fit a grey baseplate wonderfully:

The Iris 15-gallon Wing Lid Storage Box, WL-60.

Cons: the price was $14 at the store, but at least the product still exists.
Now, it would be *really* great if the lid could be used as the floor (so you
could put the box with contents down, and then "lift off" the square bulky
portion leaving the MOC on the table on the lid; I'll keep dreaming). Since they
are not that way, how do you get a full MOC into or out of the box? Run ribbons
under the baseplate like how you get AA battereies out of some battery
comprtments?

--
Brian Davis

Re: Perfect sort of pieces for vacation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:14:41 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Patrick J. Levy wrote:
Hi,

I have lot of  legos pieces (almost technic - about 10.000 items) an I have
a major problem. When I am at home, it´s ok i have all my legos near me, but
when I go travel for a weekend, for instance, obviosly I can´t take it all
with me.

So the question:

What would be the best sort of pieces to put in one box to go travel, and
yet, have a lot of fun without the inevitable frustration of that missed
part you forgot? What kind of tires? How many axels? Bricks or Beams? God,
it´s driving me crazy...

A think everyone may have different sets needs, but I think that may have
some basic bunch of pieces thats is good to have at hand, in one "Travel
case"

Some ideias?

Patrick Levy
http://www.tdi-ng.com.br/patrick/lego/

Lego already made the perfect solution- X-pods. Pack a pod or two, and go small.
You can't take your whole collection, and if you did- why go on vacation?

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact