 Storage / 1607
Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:58:57 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Matthew Crandall wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
   Anyone see the new “LEGO Furniture” items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for $12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there’s a table that’s 2’ by 4’ by a foot and a half high - for two hundred dollars!! I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of wood... it doesn’t even have baseplates on its surface!

Brian--

Yeah, I’ve seen them. They’re nice. Nifty.

And made from wood (or a wood-like substance), which is not a LEGO usual feature. I wouldn’t buy them for my kids (if I had them), but I might consider them if I were single and LEGO was my job (Think like that artist chap that has a need for a studio’s worth of storage). I might also consider them if I were filthy rich and wanted my kids to have a LEGO room. Otherwise, I agree--they are a tad steep for my taste.

Nobody said you had to buy them, though...While I appreciate the idea, I’d rather buy LEGO proper and create a different way to store it all. If you’re really good with wood and the tools to shape it--build your own storage. Me, I’m not so good with that kind of thing. That’s why big box stores (like the one that starts with “W” and ends in “Mart”) like people like me. We buy very big plastic tubs, and use those to store LEGO. No bugs, they stack well, and I can keep the original boxes and bags. (Ziploc bags are a help here as well.)They’re not perfect--but it’s a whole wad cheaper than the LEGO storage boxes.

Play Well and Prosper,

Matthew “The Brick Detective”

They are in the new catalog. My guess is that they were made in China and cost Lego about a dollar each. Tack on another dollar for shipping to the distrabution center. Give it time, they probably bought thousands and when they get stuck with them, as with Galidor, the price will drop very very low. John P