 Storage / 1612
Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:57:20 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
Anyone see the new "LEGO Furniture" items being sold now in the online catalog?

A storage box in red, yellow, blue, or green, slightly larger than two feet deep
by 1.5 feet wide by one foot high... for a hundred twenty dollars!!

And a stacking bin in green or red, one foot tall by one foot deep by three feet
high - for a HUNDRED FIFTY dollars!!

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes for
$12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who thinks that
the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

And, there's a table that's 2' by 4' by a foot and a half high - for two hundred
dollars!!  I could make something like that out of less than ten dollars of
wood... it doesn't even have baseplates on its surface!

Well, from what I understand, the materials are made of pine (softwood...As an
amateur woodworker, I like hardwoods much better), and I agree, the prices are a
bit high, but there's still probably a bit of cost there.  Wood is not cheap,
even in bulk, factor in shipping, warehousing and labor (if made in China, labor
is probably quite small, relatively speaking).  I'd say for that 150 dollar
price tag, you're probably looking around 40-50 dollars material and shipping
cost--remember, oil is going up, and China is now a major consumer of oil, given
their current economic boom.

Since this product is made from pine, I'd dare say there is no particle board
present.  (Most of those bookshelves from Wal-Mart are made of particle
board...Particle board is an awful material to build with--even MDF would be
preferred over particle board.. and MDF is basically sawdust and glue!)

So, you're probably getting a pretty decent quality product with those
containers.  I, for one, will not be buying them, simply because I've got a
really nice table saw in my garage to use for another of my hobbies.  I'm
currently in the process of using my saw to make storage shelves in my own LEGO
room, and it's building my skillset on the saw at the same time.

Yes, some will probably be sold by those who "must have it at any price", but if
the quality of that furniture will be anything like the 3-sided play table, it
should hold up very well.  For some reason, I think the furniture is not shipped
assembled, so assembly is required.

Scott