 Storage / 1609
Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Brian Kendig wrote:
Anyone see the new "LEGO Furniture" items being sold now in the online
catalog?

Yup.  Mostly they all look pretty cool (particularly the ones that actually have
studs on top for stacking purposes), but at those prices I will have to pass.

I could understand these at a tenth of the price; I might buy storage boxes
for $12 each and stacking bins for $15 each - but am I the only one who
thinks that the LEGO prices for these are *insane*?!

They aren't.  Not really.  Have you priced furniture recently?  I've been
looking for fairly basic computer desks, and I've been seeing prices as high as
$300 to get what I'm looking for.  And these are made from cheap, pressed
particle-board.  The LEGO furniture appears to be made from milled lumber, or at
least high-grade plywood.  _Those_ desks ran upwards of $900, and that was
without some of the key features I'm looking for.  These are not priced to be a
high-volume sales item, but

And, there's a table that's 2' by 4' by a foot and a half high - for two
hundred dollars!!  I could make something like that out of less than ten
dollars of wood... it doesn't even have baseplates on its surface!

Yeah, I'm guessing you haven't priced wood lately either.  Or you'd be making it
entirely out of 3/8" CDX plywood.  But I do have to agree about the absense of
and incompatibility with baseplates.  It'd make more sense if there was a
shallow hint of a pit sized 30"x60", so that the top surface of baseplates (not
counting the studs, of course) would sit flush with the rim of the table, and it
would accomodate 3x6 32-stud baseplates, or 2x4 48-stud baseplates.  That way
the baseplates would stay locked in place, would be interchangable, and you
could continue building out over the rim without it tilting your MOC one way or
the other.