 Storage / 1616
Re: Official LEGO storage boxes? For more than a hundred bucks each?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:02:27 GMT

In lugnet.storage, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.storage, John Patterson wrote:
   My guess is that they were made in China and cost Lego about a dollar each. Tack on another dollar for shipping to the distrabution center.

This guess seems out of whack. Lego has pretty thin price margins comparatively (just ask merchandisers what the ‘at cost’ price is for Lego to get an idea). I don’t see why Lego would be jacking up the price for these storage bins but NOT for everything else. Besides, whenever they try to market things in the USA, the price margins are razor thin compared to everywhere else-- why should we expect these to be any different?

But even moreso-- what do you think most US citizens would be willing to pay for them? If they were for sale at $40 per shelf, they’d be selling like iPods to teenagers. They’d move thousands of them REALLY quickly, because they LOOK fantastic, they’re versatile, and they’d be affordable. If Lego’s cost were even $20 per, they’d be making a KILLING at $40 per unit, selling them by the proverbial barrelful. But at $100+, they’ll sell FAR fewer, and make way less money (assuming the same $20 baseline cost for Lego).

Personally, I think these look like (and are priced like) high quality shelves, and I’d be proud to have some. I don’t think I’d keep my Lego in them (because it’s just inefficient for AFOL sized collections), but they look perfect to go in (say) the front hall as a place to store shoes or boots, or in some other room as a cute storage system. I also think they’d work well for schools, day care centers, etc-- anywhere where there’s a chunk of Lego for kids to play with that needs a sturdy storage system.

DaveE

I have the storage and sorting box and it is ok, nothing special, but a lot cheaper than the other ones. I also have the older one from the 80’s or earily 90’s, held up well. My guess on the price comes from my other life when we ordered a few things from China. Very very low prices when you buy in quanity and if you fill up a conex container shipping is very low also. Not what one would expect. That is why so many things are made in China now. I just bought a bedroom set and it is very heavy and it was made in China. So I don’t think that it is all that expensive considering the weight and that the item is more than keystoned. So for a $5500 bedroom set, the seller here makes around $3000 that leaves 2500 amd if the keystone is more, which it probably is then cut another $500off and then shipping in the US from the West Coast is probably around $200 if by rail. Then the profit in China and their internal shipping, so the production cost goes down even more. And I do not think that wood is a problem in China. The cost for wood jumped after Katernia here, but China stayed about the same.

I am sure that it is a good quality product and there are a lot of private schools that may pick it up, but even I, who is Lego crazy would not spend that much for the furniture. After all I live in El Paso, not Beverly Hills. (The sorting storage box is great and at a resonable price, probaby did that to fill up the shipping container.) John P