 Storage / *1600 (-20)
Re: My latest LEGO room in order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:51:21 GMT

In lugnet.storage, James Trobaugh wrote:
   After moving into my new house almost a year ago I finally got my LEGO room in order. Its a 10x20 room in my basement, and yes I have to share it with a HVAC unit & water heater but I take the space where I can find it.

It does give me plenty of room for storage and building space. Of course I’ve already filled it up with no room for more LEGO, but I’m sure I can find the room if needed.

That’s a really fine looking Lego room. I’m most definitely jealous of it.

Tim

Subject:
My latest LEGO room in order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:49:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

After moving into my new house almost a year ago I finally got my LEGO room in order. Its a 10x20 room in my basement, and yes I have to share it with a HVAC unit & water heater but I take the space where I can find it.

It does give me plenty of room for storage and building space. Of course I’ve already filled it up with no room for more LEGO, but I’m sure I can find the room if needed.

Subject:
me saa dumb dumb-- dumped my brick/plate modified---oops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:29:07 GMT

wow do i feel like jar jar binks at the moment. i fell asleap last night with my
brick/plate modified plano bin on my bed. this wasn't intentional as i kinda
passed out but when i woke up i found it on the floor,  DOH!  luckly? it didin't
end up upside down but there's a good amount on the floor and more in slots
where they don't belong. oh well i guess it's a learning experince.

anyone else have something like this happen recently?

ondrew<-- sorting yet again =)

Subject:
Speed Build Competition (and sorting & steam)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.build, lugnet.storage, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:43:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Jon Rasmussen, who has been in PNLTC and its offspring clubs for about 10 years
now and who is a very active builder in Wild West, among other themes, is still
a lurker here on Lugnet.  So I'm posting this stuff for him. :)

Jon will be hosting the Speed Build!
Saturday, March 31, 3:00 p.m.(Time subject to change without notice)

Come and compete with some of the slickest speed builders on the planet.  We
will be building one of the current small Racers sets.  The exact set will be
announced Frida, March 30th, during the Opening Ceremonies.  You may then
purchase th set at the Lego store which will be open exclusively to BrickFest
attendees from 10:00 pm to 1:00 am that night.  If you think you are up to the
challenge, come and see how fast the bricks will fly!

Jon will also be hosting this Panel Discussion:
Topic:  Well-Running Steam Engines
Come and interact with some of the greatest Lego steam train builders in the
world.  This will be an exciting give-and-take session with some of the keenest
minds when it comes to building a well-running steam engine.  So if you are a
trainhead at all, this will be a session NOT to miss!

And Jon will be hosting a Round Table Discussion
Topic:  Strategies on Sorting
This will be an opportunity to brainstorm with other Lego enthusiasts on
different methods and philosophies of sorting bricks.  Come and be ready to
share the ideas that have worked for you!  (This is always a really fun and
exciting discussion!)  YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS THIS ONE!!!

Editor's (Matt's) note on the Round Table Discussion:  This discussion happens
every year at NWBrickCon and Rick Clark always tries to hijack it to his sorting
method which I can't even remember (something about zip lock bags).  Anyway, all
true and excellent sorting practices, as everyone should know by now, start with
Matt's Mushroom Bins (http://www.auctionbrick.com/mchiles/shroombins/) so come
and help keep this discussion on track!

And don't forget to check out Matt's Shroom Bins while you are at BrickFest - we
have a brand new Jumbo size that will be introduced there!

-Matt :)
(for Jon)
www.brickfest.com - only 2 weeks away!

Subject:
Sales at Menard's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:07:43 GMT

For those of you who live in a state with a Menard's store, they have the
following sales through October 15:

18 drawer cabinet - $9 (regular $11)
4"X8" pocket stowaway, 6 compartment - $1 (regular $2)

I know that a lot of people use the 18 drawer cabinets, and you can't find new
ones any cheaper than $9.

David

Re: Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:56:03 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Steve, although I don't think we've ever met.... welcome home neighbor!

Gary....Gary..gary........<sigh>...come to a meeting and you can meet your
neighbors from MichLTC :-) Chris
St. Clair Shores

Re: Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:06:45 GMT

Steve, although I don't think we've ever met.... welcome home neighbor!

Gary Istok
St. Clair Shores

Subject:
Moved back home and LSF Search
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:09:54 GMT

Hi all,

My move to North Carolina last year was short lived. 18 months later I am back
in Detroit where I belong and back at my previous employer.

Things in North Carolina did not go as planned. The friend I went to help has
worsening health conditions due to MS, so I could no longer help her. Also, the
job I had absolutely sucked.

As luck would have it, my previous employer wanted me back. The timing could not
have been better.

My credit card is about paid off, which has now allowed me to go in search of my
first LSF. A real house to store my Lego, and build and play and a place for me
and my cat to call home.

I have already prequalified with 2 different mortgage companies. My credit is
excellent and so again, THE SEARCH IS ON!!!!!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Steven Weiser

Re: Ultimate Lego Transport/Storage Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:54:45 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Thomas Garrison wrote:

I've finally found it...

...and after more than a year, so have I. The Office Depot by me finally had a
few of these in stock (I grabbed two). They fit a grey baseplate wonderfully:

The Iris 15-gallon Wing Lid Storage Box, WL-60.

Cons: the price was $14 at the store, but at least the product still exists.
Now, it would be *really* great if the lid could be used as the floor (so you
could put the box with contents down, and then "lift off" the square bulky
portion leaving the MOC on the table on the lid; I'll keep dreaming). Since they
are not that way, how do you get a full MOC into or out of the box? Run ribbons
under the baseplate like how you get AA battereies out of some battery
comprtments?

--
Brian Davis

Re: Perfect sort of pieces for vacation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 02:14:41 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Patrick J. Levy wrote:
Hi,

I have lot of  legos pieces (almost technic - about 10.000 items) an I have
a major problem. When I am at home, it´s ok i have all my legos near me, but
when I go travel for a weekend, for instance, obviosly I can´t take it all
with me.

So the question:

What would be the best sort of pieces to put in one box to go travel, and
yet, have a lot of fun without the inevitable frustration of that missed
part you forgot? What kind of tires? How many axels? Bricks or Beams? God,
it´s driving me crazy...

A think everyone may have different sets needs, but I think that may have
some basic bunch of pieces thats is good to have at hand, in one "Travel
case"

Some ideias?

Patrick Levy
http://www.tdi-ng.com.br/patrick/lego/

Lego already made the perfect solution- X-pods. Pack a pod or two, and go small.
You can't take your whole collection, and if you did- why go on vacation?

Subject:
Perfect sort of pieces for vacation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 01:03:50 GMT

[...]

Re: Tape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:29:42 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Anna Porter wrote:
In lugnet.storage, Danny Staple wrote:

Freezing it may make it loose its stickiness, but you would have to
keep the cardboard dry to stop it getting soggy when its defrosted.

Danny

Thanks for the tip - unfortunately the box is bigger than my freezer!  at the
moment i am trying to remove it using acetone (nail varnish remover).  It is
working but is very slow as i don't want it to soak into the box so i'm being
very careful.  I have now made a very strong promise to myself never ever to
stick a lego box closed with masking tape!

Thanks again

Anna

Anna, I neglected to offer this solution at first, because any "liquid" cleaner
could potentially ruin your box, but since you have gone the acetone route,
which is fairly harsh, even when trying to be slow and careful...

I would instead suggest a product called "Goo Gone" instead.  Its much more of a
gentle product to remove gummy substances and available at most hardware or
larger super markets.

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

Janey "No stick, Red Brick"

Re: Tape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:29:34 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Danny Staple wrote:

Freezing it may make it loose its stickiness, but you would have to
keep the cardboard dry to stop it getting soggy when its defrosted.

Danny

Thanks for the tip - unfortunately the box is bigger than my freezer!  at the
moment i am trying to remove it using acetone (nail varnish remover).  It is
working but is very slow as i don't want it to soak into the box so i'm being
very careful.  I have now made a very strong promise to myself never ever to
stick a lego box closed with masking tape!

Thanks again

Anna

Re: Tape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:29:28 GMT

On 26/07/06, Anna Porter <anna.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to safely remove
masking tape and packing tape from old lego boxes?  I seem able to remove the
tape without tearing but am left with a layer of extreamly sticky stuff - anyone
got any ideas on how to remove this?  i thought about meths but am a little
afraid about the effect on the print.  ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Anna

Freezing it may make it loose its stickiness, but you would have to
keep the cardboard dry to stop it getting soggy when its defrosted.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots

Subject:
Tape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:10:20 GMT

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to safely remove
masking tape and packing tape from old lego boxes?  I seem able to remove the
tape without tearing but am left with a layer of extreamly sticky stuff - anyone
got any ideas on how to remove this?  i thought about meths but am a little
afraid about the effect on the print.  ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Anna

Subject:
Baby Food Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:17:42 GMT

Greetings, Earth Mortals!
     Have you seen these:  http://www.gerber.com/newproditem?npid=17 ?  Sorry
that's the only picture I can find right away; I'd have posted my own pics, but
our home computer system is not operating within normal parameters.
     For you new Parent-FOLs, Gerber has a line of baby foods labelled 1st, 2nd,
3rd foods that come in these nice little plastic recloseable rectangular packs,
about 1.5"x3" or so with varying heights.  The lids hold on great.  These make
great little sorting or storage containers, and you could easily make something
like one of the Akro-Mills drawer boxes with these.
     Perfect for all your little 1x pieces!!

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander

Subject:
Lego domain photo documentation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 04:46:55 GMT

So this weekend I went through a flurry of cleaning in my Lego domain, the result of which is that it’s finally clean enough to show. I’ve been meaning for a while to document the extent of my sorting system, so people can see how a collection of 350,000+ bricks is handled, at least by me.

The results are here.

Adrian

BrickFrenzy.com

Re: Do You Sort on Vacation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:00:08 GMT

Doh!

I wish you would have told me then!  Odds are they just pitched the
tubs, and I could have packed at least some of them in my car.

The new tubs suck, as the lids don't clip on very securely, and the
studs sticking up take up a bit too much space - the SamsClub racks I
have set up for my old tubs won't fit the new, and if I reset the
shelves, I get 1-2 less shelves per rack.  And the slightly oval sides
waste a lot of space when stacking bricks in them.

I miss the old style tub, and really enjoy it when they bring it back
out every once in a while (just bought 30 6092 and 10 3191, mostly for
the 1/2 height tubs!  I'm hoping the blue 1/2 height makes it here from
overseas...).

John wrote:
In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl wrote:

Gone are the days of heading home with 50 tubs compacted down to 15-20
with the rest of the tubs stacked...

`<sigh`> I remember when the GMLTC displayed at the Kidvention in LLC way back
in '99.  I bought 40 tubs from the BIG store.  Gave the tubs to some MCs `[1`]
and packed the rest into a rather large box-- thanks to the light-traveling
Abner Finley for checking them with his ticket!

[JOHN]

`[1`] Model Citizens, AKA LEGOland employees

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/

Re: Do You Sort on Vacation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:00:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl wrote:

   Gone are the days of heading home with 50 tubs compacted down to 15-20 with the rest of the tubs stacked...

<sigh> I remember when the GMLTC displayed at the Kidvention in LLC way back in ‘99. I bought 40 tubs from the BIG store. Gave the tubs to some MCs [1] and packed the rest into a rather large box-- thanks to the light-traveling Abner Finley for checking them with his ticket!

JOHN

[1] Model Citizens, AKA LEGOland employees

Re: Do You Sort on Vacation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:29:39 GMT

I usually have to sort Lego that I've bought while in Orlando just so I
can fit it in the car ;-)

Though since Bley, the amount of Lego compared to other things bought on
vacation pales to the past.

Gone are the days of heading home with 50 tubs compacted down to 15-20
with the rest of the tubs stacked...

Michael Huffman wrote:

I think in some states, sorting Lego on vacation is grounds for divorce...  :)

--Mike.

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/