 Star Wars / 6621
Re: Star Wars Minifig Packs - Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:33:01 GMT

Adam,

  I am not certain with which part of my statement you are disagreeing. I said two
things.

1. Minifigs are not action figures and since they are catagorized as construction
toys LEGO can sell them however they wish, in sets or as a set of minifigs.

2. I wondered about the actual impact that LEGO sales has on the Hasbro market. I
said there must be some competition, but essentially Star Wars collectors will
always be Star Wars collectors. Thus, Star Wars action figures will always have a
market.

adam tucker wrote:

I would have to totally disagree with Christopher on this one! Hasbro's Action
Figures are completely different then Lego's mini figures. The lego are

That is what I said minfigs are not action figures they are minfigs/construction
toys.

somewhat comical, whereas, the Kenner line is meant to be more articulate,
deatiled, and accurate dipictions of the actual characters in the Movies. I
can not logically see how one could even attempt to compare the two, and If
Hasbro has any competition to be worrying about His name is McFarlene, not
3/4" character "likenesses" of a few Star Wars characters. I can also assure
you that Lego has no intentions of producing the number of different figures
as Hasbro has done. Lego's mini figs are meant to compliment the "building
toy" not become an entity all themselves. Sure, people are going to start a
"collection" of them -why not they are pretty cool, but to say that they would
"replace" the Hasbro/Kenner line is so far removed from any possibility that I
would venture to say that you are not a very informed or insightful ADULT
collector. I have followed (specifically Star Wars) action figures for over 25

I never said that LEGO minifigures would replace action figures. I do not think I
implied it either.

years. The only reason why collectors are not happy right now stems from the
fact that they (Hasbro) have over produced, poor distribution, resculps,
accompanied by bad marketing. I would be more than willing to bet that if
figures cost $10 a peice, you would by them if they were new charcters which
really offered some neat charcteristics.

The last comment I have for you is GALOOB, why do you think that if someone
could by the Micro Machine versions of all of the ships why would anyone spend
4 times as much for the larger scaled version for the 3 3/4" Kenner line? I
guess Hasbro/Kenner is so stupid because guess what? They bought out the
entire Galoob company, so I guess you would feel that they are now competing
with themselves -right? Why would they do that if they thought Mini or Micro
produced items would only deter collectors from buying the Normal scaled stuff.

Maybe you are sttributing someone elses comments to my post?

Chris