 Star Wars / 6611
Re: Star Wars Minifig Packs - Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:53:24 GMT

Somebody beat me to the "Dewback" squad ... maybe a Bespin Chase Playset, or a
Death-Star-Vine-Swing-Over_Incomprehnesible-Pit with Luke, Leia, and 'troopers.
Not rightly vehicles, I know ...

ah well.

shaun

Lorbaat wrote:

Ok, so I've been thinking about Star Wars minifig packs, and I think I might
have found a reason we'll never, ever see them, which is sad.  But before you
hate me and say I'm the bearer of bad tidings, hear me out, because there might
be hope.

Ok.  So we all know that Hasbro bought Kenner to get the Star Wars license
(well, the alternate report that I've heard on that is that Hasbro bought
Kenner just to revive the Star Wars line under Kenner's auspices, for an
extra-retro feel for old timers like me).  Hasbro/Kenner's license is for
"action figures, accessories, and playsets".  Galoob, meanwhile, secured a
license to manufature and sell toys of "vehicles", and therefore could make
Micro Machines, Action Fleet, and so on.

As the hype for Episode I began ramping up (well, for us *real* SW fans that
was a while before the release, like two or three years) Hasbro announced that
it has bought Galoob, making them the only manufacturer of Star Wars toys.
That's pretty good, when you think of it- every dollar spent by retailers on
Star Wars toys was going to be going to Hasbro.

Then, LucasFilm and Lego announce the license for Lego toys.  Hasbro, of
course, thought this was a violation of their licenses, and were told (in
court?  I don't remember) that the Lego license was for "construction toys".

So it is possible that we'll never see a pack of SW minifigs because putting
one out would incite Hasbro in some way, or might actually just fully violate
licensing agreements.

But, I did say something about there being hope, so:  With the MTT, you get a
great set of parts, and 7 Battle Droids.  At that rate, two or three of them
combines with other sets, like the Naboo Swamp and Naboo Fighter, and the AAT,
and you can have a fairly formidable force of Battle Droids.  So maybe Lego
will put out a set with a similar number of Stormtroopers, or a smallish set
with one or two Stormtroopers.  It's a shame that Lego already produced the
Landspeeder from  Episode IV, because that set would seem to be a natural for
inclusion of one, two, or even up to four Stormtroopers.  Can anyone else think
of a small-ish vehicle set that could easily include Stormtroopers?

Anyway.  Slow day at work, so I thought I'd ruminate a bit.

eric