 Star Wars / 6615
Re: Star Wars Minifig Packs - Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:04:15 GMT

I tend to agree with you Kevin. Once a minifig is clasiified as a condtruction toy
and not an action figure then it shouldn't matter whether it is part of a big set
or a small set.

As an aside...while there is obviously some competition between StarWars LEGO and
StarWars action figures I wonder how significant it is. I have never bought a
StarWars action figure, but I have bought a bunch of the LEGO StarWars stuff. A
friend who has been a stars nut for a long time has only purchased an X-Wing, a
Tie/Y-wing combo, and a Speeder Bike set. He puchased a room full of action
figures during the same time period. This isn't a scientific survey, but I
wouldn't be surprised if purchasing choices were divided down those lines. That
is, the goal is to buy LEGO, so StarWars LEGO is purchased instead of some other
theme, or the goal is to buy action figures, so action figures are purshased.

Just thinking out loud,
Chris

Kevin Knoot wrote:

Hasbro owns the license for "action figures and vehicles over 1 inch tall" and
Galoob (now Hasbro) owns it for "action figures and vehicles under 1 inch"

How does this relate to TLC?  Well, when the contracts were negotiated a couple
years back, there was an explicit, seperate contract for "Construction Toys"
which was left open, which was obvously intended for Lego.  Hasbro & Galoob
knew about this "Construction Toy" license, since it was in the papers (this
was about a year before the Lego license was announced), and it was no secret
that Lucas wanted to do something with Lego.  Ultimately, I'm certain that
minifigs fall under the "construction toy" definition, even if sold
individually AND pre-assembled, like the keychains, so if TLC wants to make a
mini-fig only set, they ceratinly will, and have every right to.  It is most
likely that we haven't seen any do to the fact that its more profitable to sell
the figs in a larger set than it would be to sell them by themselves.  TLC
knows the demand for Vader, Fett, Han, Chewie et al, and knows that they'll
make a LOT more $$$ by making us spend $200 to get them (in larger sets) than
by selling them in a single set for $6.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Kevin

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
Ok, so I've been thinking about Star Wars minifig packs, and I think I might
have found a reason we'll never, ever see them, which is sad.  But before you
hate me and say I'm the bearer of bad tidings, hear me out, because there • might
be hope.

Ok.  So we all know that Hasbro bought Kenner to get the Star Wars license
(well, the alternate report that I've heard on that is that Hasbro bought
Kenner just to revive the Star Wars line under Kenner's auspices, for an
extra-retro feel for old timers like me).  Hasbro/Kenner's license is for
"action figures, accessories, and playsets".  Galoob, meanwhile, secured a
license to manufature and sell toys of "vehicles", and therefore could make
Micro Machines, Action Fleet, and so on.

As the hype for Episode I began ramping up (well, for us *real* SW fans that
was a while before the release, like two or three years) Hasbro announced that
it has bought Galoob, making them the only manufacturer of Star Wars toys.
That's pretty good, when you think of it- every dollar spent by retailers on
Star Wars toys was going to be going to Hasbro.

Then, LucasFilm and Lego announce the license for Lego toys.  Hasbro, of
course, thought this was a violation of their licenses, and were told (in
court?  I don't remember) that the Lego license was for "construction toys".

So it is possible that we'll never see a pack of SW minifigs because putting
one out would incite Hasbro in some way, or might actually just fully violate
licensing agreements.

But, I did say something about there being hope, so:  With the MTT, you get a
great set of parts, and 7 Battle Droids.  At that rate, two or three of them
combines with other sets, like the Naboo Swamp and Naboo Fighter, and the AAT,
and you can have a fairly formidable force of Battle Droids.  So maybe Lego
will put out a set with a similar number of Stormtroopers, or a smallish set
with one or two Stormtroopers.  It's a shame that Lego already produced the
Landspeeder from  Episode IV, because that set would seem to be a natural for
inclusion of one, two, or even up to four Stormtroopers.  Can anyone else • think
of a small-ish vehicle set that could easily include Stormtroopers?

Anyway.  Slow day at work, so I thought I'd ruminate a bit.

eric